Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Faith'

Hybrid View

Cool Ariel #226 'Faith'

Newly Christened
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by c_amos; 02-10-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Change title

Wink Fish Eye View

Here is one I took at anchor, I swam out with the camera (not waterproof by the way) and took it from water view.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by c_amos; 11-16-2004 at 07:44 PM.

Thumbs up Chief Engineer

My Chief Engineer and I in a temporary tender (He steers)
    Attached Images  

Talking October racing

Here we are in our third race (October)
    Attached Images  

Oops! I blew it!!!

The fourth race, I blew it literally.

Gale warnings cancelled the 'official' race, but a few of us decided to go out and race anyway.

A gust blew out the Jib, don't think there is enough sail tape to put this one back together!
    Attached Images  

Unhappy More Jib Carnage

Peek A Boo.
    Attached Images  

'Case Logic' organizer

Someone asked me about the hanging organizer I have aboard Faith.
    Click for larger picture
    I checked the tag, and it is a 'Case Logic' organizer. I saw it at K-mart, and thought it would work. It is well made, with heavy nylon, and strong mesh. There are inserts in the corners, and small strips sewn into the front of the mesh pockets to keep them from deforming with the weight of things placed in them.
    I understand that K-Mart no longer carries them, but you can order direct from the Case Logic website.
    They have several different sizes, and they are very reasonably priced. The one I have is the '9 pocket' model
    [img]http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472...m6/56416_1_1?&[/img]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Craig,
    Incredible prices! Obviously NOT marine equipment.
    Yet.

Few more pics of the haul out

Was not sure where to put these, so here they are;

Posted the pictures of the topsides in the ‘painting the hull’ thread.

Here are a couple more shots;

This is the original stainless steel rub strake. I removed it and ground out the filler that sealed up the deck to hull joint (back in 1964, it had long since ceased from sealing anything). It was a tough call to put this back on, since it involved drilling over 100 holes in the toe rail I had just finished sealing up. For anyone who has not messed with this, I suggest you tag the pieces with were they came from… even though I filled all the holes, so I did n ot need them to match I found it really only goes back on right one way.

It is bedded in 2 and a half tubes of PL polyurethane (quiet the messy job!).

Then, here are the new stern cleats There are 6 of these 10" hershoff bronze cleats;

And finally. Saving the best for last.... ;D

Rose wanted to make sure the fish that visited us would have some company... and that when we were diving in the crystal clear water we will be in we would know our boat from below... so she used some extra cans of bottom paint laying around the yard to bring these friends along... ;D

Port side;

Starboard;

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

Thumbs up

looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the bronze

Beautiful

THe whole boat looks great but I really LOVE the fish !!

How many folks have said to you that the boat looks a little fishy?

Worth the wait Craig! Thanks for the pics. She looks fabulous!

And dang! Those are some MONSTER cleats! Must have lowered your water line at least a couple of inches just putting those babies on...

PS. I also love those fish!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Another Trip update, Faith is in Brunswick GA

Here is an update drawn from the post on the SailFar.net site.

[SIZE=2]Here is the post I typed up from St. Catherine's Island. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Ahoy from St. Catherine's Sound! 16 September 2007[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We are lazing here after a nice evening on the hook adjacent to the St. Catherine's Island wildlife rescue center. We stayed here on advice from friends who said the Bronx zoo has released it's retired wildlife here for years. We have not seen any yet, but have had a very nice evening and morning looking at the Island.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I am getting ahead of myself though.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Beaufort was a great town to visit, the downtown marina staff were friendly hand helpful, and it was nice to use their courtesy car to do some shopping. We only stayed in the marina to top off our fuel and batteries and then went out to a great anchorage just South of the marina. We had a nice time there, but somehow we forgot to take any pictures (sorry). We met a couple of new friends there, LR and his son Micha are heading to the middle east as missionaries. We had great fellowship with them, and might have lingered longer there to enjoy their company.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We headed out to a nice anchorage on the Cooper River. It had been a nice day of sailing in moderate winds so we had dinner and went to bed early for an early start the next morning. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We did not get far before we were acquainted with the tides here on the ‘Low Country’ coast![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Our first grounding of the trip was one for (our) recordbooks. We sailed off of the anchor on the same course we had come in, but with a slightly lower tide. I took this picture about an hour before the low tide, after she had settled a but and Rose put the camera back below where it was nearly impossible to get to before the boat started to right herself. There was dry ground about 10’ from where she lay, and less then a foot of water. She settled easily and righted herself with no problems or damage when the tide came in.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Savannah was a beautiful city and very small boat friendly. The approach was largely undeveloped and scenic right up to the industrial boarder of the city.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We stayed at the downtown docks, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Faith at Savannah.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]which were nice but pretty rolly with the large merchant traffic that came through. Our first night there ~ 15 merchant ships came through, but stopped by 1am which was pretty much when the crowds started to thin.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We had a great time there. We took the 'back channel' down to the ICW from Savannah. The bridge is 35' high, and our mast is 35' high with a 3' antenna. We were closer to low tide, but with no tide board we had to have 'Faith' that we were at low enough water.... it was close.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We left the town dock after 3 days, and went to Thunderbolt GA, where we planned to wait for a new propeller my dad had ordered for us. We had spun the hub on the old one heading up the Cooper river. We checked into the marina planning to spend up to a week waiting, but after doing some laundry and walking into town I remembered a friend from SailFar’s offer to stay at their dock nearby. They deliver fresh Krispy Cream doughnuts and a paper to your boat at Thunderbolt marina which was nice. We had breakfast and got underway for Dan’s (‘Psyche’ on SailFar) house.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The Ogechee was a bit of a challenge, but had I printed out Dan’s directions, or come into the river at high tide it would have been less stressful 15 mile detour.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We got to Dan’s house at dusk and rafted outboard of his Columbia 8.7 where he greeted us and had a wonderful dinner of fried chicken on his dock.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]As I mentioned earlier, you really need to take a look at the work he and James Baldwin have done on this amazing boat. I knew that with James experience the modifications would make great sense, but I did not expect the craftsmanship. The fit and finish of the interior are amazing. It was a great couple days enjoying Dan’s hospitality and the beautiful surroundings were only added to by the Alberg 30, and James Baldwin’s Triton ‘Atom’ moored near by. Our last day there we rode back into Savannah with Dan. We had a great day walking around especially with ‘local info’ to help us find the treasures. We met the owner of a small family vineyard We tasted his wonderful Muscadine wines and he even found a couple that Rose liked! [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We left Dan's place on the Ogeechee (it is 14.54miles from the ICW marker 98) and sailed to St. Catherine's Island (Walberg creek) making 28.6 miles mostly under sail. We had heard from friends that there were wild animals there that had been 'retired' from the Bronx zoo. I did not see any, but we had a nice night there. Getting there was a bit breezy, we had 25-25k all day and even saw a 60' piling with a day marker floating by (called the CG, they were not too interested.... i had to talk them into copying the lat/lon... :[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Anyway, we had a nice night there, we sailed across the sound and anchored near marker 180, for a long night in 'back river' with little protection from the wind.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We made it through 'Mud river' fortunately we made it at high tide, because at low water (our depths - the 7' tide) there would have been less then 3' in the middle of the channel![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]From there we made a detour to the Frederica River, where we stayed for 2 days (at 455.5 miles from our start) to wait out the weather and see the Fort. It was a great Anchorage, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]and we really enjoyed taking our time to see the Fort and settlement. We were really close.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The day we were there a local school was taking a tour and the rangers were dressed in period costume. Faith made a good backdrop as he explained the ships approach to the fort[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We sailed down the Frederica river, and out to the sea buoy to go up to Brunswick. Here is the Bridge, and Roses thumb. ;D[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]We sailed up the East River to Brunswick landing marina, and passed the shrimp fleet coming in;[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The marina is nice, with free laundry, and wifi. The nicest thing so far was meeting James Baldwin and his wife Mei this afternoon. They are coming by in the morning to take us shopping.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Will update more soon. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

Lake worth, Bahamas bound!

17 October 07

Ahoy from Lake Worth FL!

FL! We awoke this AM at the anchorage right at the 'Manatee pocket' just off of the St. Lucie inlet, right off of the public boat launch. The cruising guides talk about this place like it is a great stop.... the problem is the entire shore line is either public homes or $100 a night marinas (many of which 'do not accept sail boats').

We left there early, and today will be called ' The Day of the Bridges ' There were something like half a dozen lift bridges today, and we were balancing their schedules against the currents all day. We got to Lake Worth, and immedately went out the inlet as a 'dry run' for the crossing to the Bahamas.

Peter's pet import certificate arrived at St. Augustine, so I called and had it faxed to a local copy place.

The stores are laid up, the tanks are half full (for trim) and the boat is as ready as it is going to be.,,, Lord willing our next post will be from the Bahamas.

Gotta go, thanks to everyone who helped get us here and to this point. G O D Bless you all!!!

You can see the past updates and read more here.
    Last edited by c_amos; 07-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

+ Reply to Thread