+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Loosefoot main and vang

For those that are still not convinced about the loose footed main, I have been holding back with the ultimate clincher.

When the temperature has taken a tumble, and a driving rain is lashing at the sail, all the water comes roaring down that non-loose-footed sail (what is that called?) runs about half way back along the boom and dumps on the poor soul seated on the lee side of the cockpit. If that person happens to be a guest or crew, who cares. You can just let the person know that the bath is part of the thrills, the excitement, the love of sailing. But if you are seated there and get doused, or one of Commander Pete's friends is seated there, and decided not to go out on the boat again, what could have been an enjoyable romp in rough weather becomes a crisis.

On the other hand, with a loose footed main the water never gathers on the boom, but is blown away in fine droplets under the sail before the water reaches aft to the cockpit the cockpit. It is much therefore much less likely that your can of good German beer will be severely diluted with rain water.

Now that has to be worth something!

Theis,
    I hope some day we get to share one of those German beers on the water. I really do appreciate your approach to sailing. Also, I again must say, that you are sounding more and more like a hard core racer. ......ed

Theis,

Your logic is irrefutable. I would argue for a bottle of Sam Adams, but that would be too picky...
    John G.
    Valhalla
    Commander No 287

They finally arived and I have found the new weakest link. I was surprised. The pieces are much lighter than the originals. Hopefully that's due to advanced engineering and not just being cheap crap!

The Dwyer extrusion is not exactly the same as ours so naturally some 'modifications' will be needed. After holding the pieces in my hands I really wanted to beef them up a bit anyway.
    Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Theis' final arguement for the loosefoot cannot be refuted. Wasn't myself going to. I havn't read ANY cruiser's comment to this effect! Maybe they is all huddled under their rigid dodgers when it rains. I believe Frenchmen use their sails to collect potable water.

Tony, I've got to order that stuff for the boom. Have you got some numbers? You know, and I can't be the only one, really go for a photo or three of your boom with the new fittings. Process of being fitted, too.

Aluminum can seem very unsubstantial. Have to conclude, looking at the dinky original moving pieces and castings that they did pretty good over the decades. I'm impressed how nicely sculpted they are. The key word/phrase to me is Almag, the alloy of our extrusions - and I would hope the same used for the new fittings you have there. Thinking about corrosion. I have read of recent alloys: Almag 4.5 and Almag 5 - impervious to salt water corrosion. Probably only military can afford it.

And, how did you come to the substantial new gooseneck? Your own design? Would like to see it all connected up!!!
    THANKS

I think these most recent comments show that it is time to start on a new thread under the "technical" section, one that has not been covered in ANY detail before. The new thread should be broken up into three categories. The first, perhaps is racing, the second for cruising, and the third for parties in port. But certainly this new thread is appropriate and a near mandatory part of the sailing religion.

The new thread should relate to BEER. Which beers are best for which category? For example, the best beer for the port parties, in my opinion, is Miller Lite. It is cheap and does nothing. Obviously someone out east likes that Boston brew - but it is too expensive for the port party. Then there is the bottle vs. the can issue. Ah, this could be the longest thread in the Pearsonariel.org books.

I certainly think Commander Pete should weigh in on the subject.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I'll take whatever is being served, as long as its beer.

http://www.virtualbartender.beer.com/beer_usa.htm

Outhaul & Uphaul...(?)

Outhaul & Uphaul...(?)

Sailing last Friday with about 20kt winds and gusts. Had a bit of a puzzle when the outhaul parted on a broad reach.... Tough to tame that main when the foot is sliding half way up to the gooseneck, and the sail is doing it's best chute impression.....

Anyway, I have decided my 'outhaul' is not the ideal system. It had been a line from the eye in the top of the boom, through the clue back to a cleat on the side. (no real purchase).

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas short of Tony's new boom end?

I read that Peter Theis is using a 6:1 set up (how can you fit that?). What is
    everyone else using? Pictures?

Also, in changing the line on the outhaul, I also replaced my downhaul (same size and vintage).

There is a line that raises the boom on the sailtrack.... a halyard that wraps around the mast and runs all the way up to a block just below the spreaders.... I am trying to figure this out. It is in opposition to the downhaul, and keeps the boom from dropping when the main is lowered.

Does this sound like what others have? If not, then what?

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I've been pondering that too. Theres only about 6 inches between the end of the sail and the end of the boom.

I moved my old downhaul there, to get a 2:1 purchase. Doesn't work too well. Just no room.

I've been wondering if there might be some sort of lever that could be adapted for that spot. Something like a shroud lever

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...-1/10001/20086

Obviously, that thing wouldn't be suitable. But I only need to move the foot a few inches, tight for upwind and loose for downwind.

When I do adjust the outhaul, I'll often forget to adjust it back.

Here its too loose
    Attached Images  

Craig, that other line sounds like a strange topping lift.

Might be good for hauling up the boom so the sail fits more easily inside the sailcover.

I'd keep it if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by c_amos
    Outhaul & Uphaul...(?) . . . I am wondering if anyone has any ideas short of Tony's new boom end? Thanks,
    Maika'i has an internal 4 to 1 outhaul system. The rigger created it on a sheet of aluminum, rolled it up and slid it into the boom, blocks and all. Eliminates fitting problems at the mast end. Should be a photo here someplace of the line exiting the boom about six inches back from the gooseneck.

Cunningham replaces the downhaul - fixed the goosneck car so it would not move from the "black band" sail alignment - making mainsail adjustments small and easy.

Internal outhaul is worth every penny spent. (About $200 in 1984 )

Will be posting photos of a new gooseneck mast assembly as soon as it's installed.

I'm missing something here - perhaps. The topping lift obviously goes to the end of the boom. The downhaul goes from the cabin deck to the gooseneck and back to the deck (a double block) to a cleat on the mast. The line I think you are talking about is the flag halyard that goes to the spreader and is used for pennants, to hoist the radar reflector and hopefully never a distress flag. That flag halyard is cleated to the mast somewhere at the level of the gooseneck. I have no other line to hold the gooseneck up (if I wanted to). Is there another line I should know about?

As for the outhaul issue: Until last year, I ran a 5:1 purchase outhaul configuration using a twin block with becket at the sail outhaul, and a triple block on the boom end (Ronstan mini blocks, but not as small as the new Harkens I will using - see below). You are correct about the limited space. The lines going back and forth between the blocks created too much friction, particularly when the outhaul was really stretched tight.

Last year I tried using a 3:1 purchase arrangement and it worked much better. So this year I will be using new smaller blocks, the Harken 405 (single with becket at the sail outhaul) and 406 double (on the boom end) and that should resolve the problem totally - knock on wood.

My main, incidentally is loose footed.

Incidentally, my outhaul line runs inside the boom to the forward end of the boom above the cabin top. After the line passes through the triple block on the boom (to be a double block in the new configuration), it passes around a Shaeffer cheek block and through a Shaeffer piece into the boom, coming back out just aft of the gooseneck, where there is a cleat for a tie on.

My two reefing lines have a similar set up, each with a two to one purchase. The line runs from a cringle at the bottom of the sail through a B011 slider in the boom slot, to a cringle at the reef point in the sail, back to a cheek block, into the boom, coming out just aft of the outhaul cleat. There is one quick reef line (one for each reef point) on either side of the boom.

Hope this all makes sense, but it seems to work.
    Last edited by Theis; 02-21-2006 at 02:56 PM.

downhauls/outhauls/rigging

If you consult catalogues by harken/ronstan they contain schematics(rather cro-magnon but still deliver the concept) that take most of the guesswork out of purchase questions...I agree with what was mentioned before regarding the cunningham eliminating the downhaul(if your boom won't lift then)....although if you race an ariel you might have to have the mainsail set a certain distance down from the masthead(i know thats the case w/olson 30's on SF bay) and the downhaul might help you better with this.....anyway consult the catalogues they give good ideas...
    pk

Cool Uphaul (?)

I know it sounds confusing, but I think Commander Pete may have it.

There is a line that raises the boom on the sail track.... a halyard that wraps around the mast and runs all the way up to a block just below the spreaders.... I am trying to figure this out. It is in opposition to the downhaul, and keeps the boom from dropping when the main is lowered.

Does this sound like what others have? If not, then what?

I have the regular 'topping lift' at the boom end, and also have the 'signal halyard' that runs from the stbd shroud to the end of the spreader. I even have another signal halyard that runs to just shy of the mast head. I think this one is to fly the Ensign on a pig stick (I would not try that, for fear of buggering up the windvane).

There is a block (really small) on the front of the mast, just below the spreaders. The line wraps around the side of the mast, and lifts the gooseneck when the sail is down. It seems strange to me that it would be run up this high, for this purpose. It also adds a step when raising the main. I have to; 1) slack the downhaul, 2) raise the main, 3) slack the uphaul, 4) tighten the downhaul......

I am thinking that I would like to get rid of this 'uphaul' all together, but as Commander Pete said;

Might be good for hauling up the boom so the sail fits more easily inside the sail cover.

And that is exactly what I use it for. The custom sail cover I had made when I got my new sails fits snug when the gooseneck is about 2/3 of the way up this track..... so something will have to hold it up there.

Do the others (who have not modified their goosenecks) just let them drop to the bottom of the track when you lower the main?

[size=3][/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

I don't have a couple of your bonus halyards. My mast is cluttered enough with 5 lines headed up (main halyard, jib halyard, spinnaker halyard, topping lift, and flag halyard to spreader), one down (downhaul). and three out (outhaul, and two quick reefs)

But to answer your question, yes, I just let it drop to the bottom of the track.

Actually, this is a benefit when I put in a reef, because the weight of the boom at the gooseneck holds the cringle for the reef in the reef hook at the gooseneck until the sail is again hoisted with the completed reef.

Also, when I have my sunshade on (which is really a misnamed rain cover), the cover, which rides over the boom, is down low at the front so the wind and rain don't blow under it to get everything wet, or so the cover can be lifted and blown off.

+ Reply to Thread