Thread: Ariel Technical Drawings

Threaded View

Question Ariel Technical Drawings

I was preparing to raise my mast today after an extensive rehabilitation project, when I discovered a long narrow plastic bag full of what I at first thought might be charts. What that bag was doing in my lazarette locker I do not know, because I don’t recall ever having seen it before. It was one of those plastic bags with built in tie straps so tightly secured that I could not remove it, so I put it below until after we raised the mast this afternoon.

Imagine my surprise when I later opened the bag and discovered three new spark plus still in their boxes, a strange little cylinder marked impeller (I have a 6 hp outboard motor), two plastic jib hanks, and a tightly rolled set of Pearson Ariel technical drawings including some copies printed on plan paper stock and some “original quality drawings” suitable for use in producing blueprint copies. I even have two printed on plastic sheets. Most of the drawings were signed by J.L.L. Lee and dated 1982. There were multiple copies of some of the drawings.

So now I am wondering how these plans came to be in my lazarette locker. I suppose that when I recently cleaned out the V berth to facilitate rebuilding to the deck below the mast and strong back I must have moved that bag from the V berth back to the lazarette, but how did these plans come to be in my V berth. I completely stripped the boat in 2001 to repaint the cabin.

I vaguely recall something about a set of plans being available from the Association sometime in the past, but search on this forum for "plans", "technical drawings," "drawings", etc. failed to turn up any leads. Perhaps I purchased them from the Association, or perhaps some great mystery is afoot,...or perhaps this fall when I repainted once again after the repairs were completed, I spent too long below in the paint fumes. Pretty cool drawings though... Anyone know if the Association has such a set of plans for sale?

A shot of the rudder drawing appears below.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 11-05-2004 at 08:14 PM.
    Scott