Thread: Who Wants In? Commander Window Frames?

Threaded View

If this doesn't work out for you - and Commander and Ariel aluminum lights are different - have you considered the alternative of refurbishing the originals?

338's were generally in pretty good shape. Required effort and chemicals to remove silicone caulking inside and out. Patched old holes (not the original pattern holes) and corrosion pitting with Lab Metal, an aluminum filler used in auto restoration.

Then they got powder coated with a hybrid metalic patina bronze color and clear coated. Relatively expensive but now that wallet-shock* has subsided, all the frames look fabulous.

This might also be done in a group to lower costs.

*Had the tiny Ariel aluminum opening ports done also, which have a bunch of parts, and raised the cost.

Powder coaters use silicone plugs to keep the coating out of miniscule threaded holes used to fasten the inside to the outside frame. But 338's were drilled through and now will have flat or oval headed machine screws thru from the outside with crown nuts on the inside frame. The through holes and countersinking was done befor so powder coating would help isolate the silicone bronze fasteners I want to use. Copper and aluminum really don't like each other - so I'll put on anything else I can think of to isolate the two alloys.
    Last edited by ebb; 10-22-2004 at 11:29 AM.