+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MILES OF MASKING TAPE

Hybrid View

Smile Another 6 Months - Ops, 7

The six month fun schedule arrived as usual this spring. The weather, however, was not being cooperative and the Bay Area was getting drowned. Two weeks ago, I went to prepare the boat for our first IntraIsland regatta. When I opened the hatch, what to my amazement did I see? Laid out were the Cetol, brushes, masking tape and etc., but I could not remeber doing it

Slowly my mind recovered and I recalled spending one day at the boat masking and coating the teak around the entrance hatch and then laying out newspapers on which to coat the hatch boards when I returned. Supposed to have been the next day, but I had an allergic reaction to something, went to the Dr and ended up on prednisone, a steroid. Turns out, one of the little know side effects of the stuff is memory loss. People who take prednisone for allergies call it "half"heimers as opposed to "Allz" heimers.

Oh well. Finally, last Wednesday I began the masking - coating routine and completed it all by Friday (removed the masking tape Saturday), except for the four teak pads under the bow pulpit legs. Of course, things did not go as planned. The rains returned, but I managed to get the coating done early enough that any water mars are not visible from three feet away.

Only five months until the next fun session . . .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I've tried all kinds of masking tape. 2 week tape, 30 day tape, 60 day tape. THEY LIE. Can be a nightmare getting it off.

Tried electrical tape also. Doesn't stick too well, but comes off easy.

Might try this stuff next

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...%5Epage%7EGRID
    Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by commanderpete
    THEY LIE. Can be a nightmare getting it off. [/url]
    Well, it is better than the "cheap stuff" from Ace Hardware. The "cheap stuff" will come off if you don't leave it on for more than a day, although what gets a lot of sun can be a bit of a trial. What the "cheap stuff" does that the expensive "blue stuff" does not do is to leave a sticky residue. The residue comes off with paint thinner, and in some cases a bit of hard rubbing. This is adding another step, but if your time is "no cost," the "cheap stuff" is really cheap, so a little extra time is not a problem.

+ Reply to Thread