'Lo Tony,
Congrats on getting to the mast.
The foam pipe insulation was invented long after Pearson put the mast on the boat. My research (and I have reams of it) shows that it is the most popular method of silencing and protecting wires in the mast. Cheap, easy to install. Another method is to use nylon wire ties and leave them long so they provide a spring=like cushion in the mast.

Imagining what I will do, but if you are forthcoming I will copy what you come up with, I would probably go to the masthead with wire in foam, and to the spreaders with the other set of wires in their own foam tubes. Stop the foam short of the mast bass with a positive tie and taping and form a loop of all wires and cable befor they exit from the mast.

I've thought a little about that chaffing or bending problem. I thought (correct me if I'm wrong) that the exit of the wires from the side of the mast could be upwards of a foot above the maststep. Be arranged in a soft loop befor entering the deck to the junction box below. The idea, of course, is to give the wires more scope to turn, and not bend.

I've been convinced ('Understanding Boat Wiring', John C. Payne) that #12 should be used for these long electric runs. The wires would be bundled with a self amalgamating rubber tape as they exit the mast and enter the gland in the coach roof. Seems to me it would be an impressive loop of stuff, and not likely to stress the wire at all.

The spreader tube is there of course to keep the thrubolt from squeezing the mast where all the work is consentrated, spreader sockets and the four lower shroud tabs. It is installed from outside into holes that just fit the tube. Since it is hopefully unlikely that the mast will be worked on again for an age, I will replace all fastenings. I know that pvc chase is considered highend but couldn't it be argued that it increases weight and holes in the mast and probably more dissimilar metal in the rivets? I think the simpler way is best: all foam, all ties, or a combo.

Remember to include a pull string for the future. How about nylon snap line of different colors, one to the spreaders, and one to the top. As for rewiring while the mast is horizontal, how about a plumbers snake to get it all started???