+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gooseneck sources

Hybrid View

Question gooseneck sources

Help!

I tried the search feature, since I recall some prior discussion about goosenecks, but alas I found recent posts.

My problem is that I need a new gooseneck. We unstepped the mast on my Ariel #330 today to do accident-related mast and deck repairs. Some good and some bad news, but mostly good, other than having to saw off the tabernacle bolt, The SS bolt was in good shape, but was corroded to it's aluminum sleeve.

The real bad news is that the gooseneck on my boom is shot. Does anyone have a source for gooseneck parts? Is there a supplier or has anyone had one made recently, and what marine yard, foundry, fabricator made one for you?

If not, has anyone adapted one from another type of boat?
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 09-10-2004 at 09:43 PM.
    Scott

Sorry about the search engine. On Maika'i, we copied the original aluminum parts in ss. Some were done at Svend's and some by our machinest crewperson.

Thanks Bill,

Here are the gooseneck parts. This was the stock roller furling gooseneck, or so it appears to me. Part A (arrowhead) is broken. The front of the piece was shattered and a section of it broke away, leaving the bolt (part C) partially exposed.

Part B (toggle) has a severely elongated bolthole opening on the side not shown here and is worn somewhat on the side shown. I will endeavor to replace all three parts. Although I suppose if I could find a new roller furling core for part A, or have one made I could salvage the remainder of part A, but I would prefer to have a deeper flange where part A is inserted into the boom end. My boom and part A have been drilled twice in a total of eight locations, so there was some concern here by a previous owner, but the part was apparently reused. This gooseneck failure did not casue a catastrophic accident, but rather resulted from a catastrophic mast accident described in the Gallery forum. I am thinking that and stainless steel part may be a better choice if fabrication is necessary.

I am in the process of replacing all of the wire on my rig at the same time.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 09-15-2004 at 01:12 AM.
    Scott

We replaced gooseneck toggle ("B") and the arrow shaped part in "A" with ss copies. The arrow is now fixed in place since we do not use roller reefing. Also, the fwd end boom casting was solid, so it was retained.

Take a look at the gooseneck set up on the "Ariel Restoration" thread in the gallery forum. You want to view post #21. IMHO, this is the way to go -- fix the point on the mast, ss toggle assembly and a fixed boom end fitting.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Rigrite sells some replacement parts. The arrowhead was about $ 55 I think.

They sell end castings, but they don't seem to match the boom profile on our boats.

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Pearson...eck_Parts.html

Last edited by commanderpete; 09-14-2004 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks Bill and Commander Pete,

That Rig Rite page is superb. Heck they have spars, booms and all sorts of things, although I am not sure about he availability of our Ariel /Commander boom. We ought to feature this source in the manual if possible as a safety upgrade of thegooseneck, since these old parts are probably universally long of tooth. I need both the arrow and a toggle. I went to the Rig Rite page, reviewed the specifications and then measured my parts. Those advertised by Rig Ritew appear to be identical to the gooseneck parts on my boat.

I was able to obtain a used Roller Reefing Gooseneck Shaft (arrowhead) and the boom end cap into which it fits today, and both in good condition, but the prices quoted for fabrication of a new toggle from two sources was prohibitively expensive in light of the cost of a complete new boom assembly which woudl work on an Ariel but would be a different section and not OEM. I was most fortunate to obtain the used arrowhead. And with Rig Rite supplying the toggle, I am set.

I am going to order a new toggle from Rig Rite tomorrow.

While we are at it, anyone know of a ready source for 3/16 thick chainplates for the upper and lower shrouds? I receved quotes today ranging between $60 and $80 a piece in 316 stainless steel chainplates, polished above deck only.

This forum is most useful. Many heads worrying about the same boats produce wonderful results and many varied and inventive solutions. It is most fortunate when this site also produces sources of the OEM parts.

Very cool
    Scott

Roller furling was an option on both the Ariel and Commander. Most of the Ariels in the SF fleet that were originally equipped with roller furling changed to jiffy (slab) reefing.

Bill, Does the SF fleet simply live with the shorter boom and I would assume smaller mail sail or is the boom replaced? Although 5 inches doesn't amount to much. I couldn't imagine pulling rearward on the boom and then twisting to shorten the sail as described in another post above. It isn't likely you would be doing this when becalmed, more than likely in a blow when you have already waited to long to reef. Have you seen a reefing boom with a crank handle to rotate the boom ( on an Ariel)?

The "pull and roll" system was the standard boom gooseneck arrangement. The "roller" system (with crank) was an upgrade. As far as I can tell, the mainsail dimensions remain the same for both. "Jeffy reefing," especially with the lines running to the cockpit, is faster, safer and maintains a better sail shape.

+ Reply to Thread