I bought a used sail from someone in Minneapolis whose Commander was totaled after a lightning strike. His report is instructive...

As for lightning (the class of the first sailboat I owned), It was frightening to see pockmarks all about the hull at every place there was a wave peak when the bolt hit, while the boat was moored in 25' of water on the St. Croix. The areas with the chain plates were especially hard hit as the charge jumped from the plates, thru the glass at the waterline...I could put a key 3" into the delamination at the bow; amidships the scoop out of the hull was the size of a golf ball. The lateral damage from the travel of the bolt from amidship plates to the hull pass throughs and on to the motor mounts was frightening. It is a tribute to the old fashioned construction techniques of Pearson's glass lay-up that she didn't sink. I saw a cored Hunter in a yard hit by the same storm that received $15,000 worth of damage. There they were removing 1'x 2' pieces of glass - with that same golf ball sized scorch mark - that looked like the black aftermath of a grass fire on the resin impregnated interior layer.