Thread: Zinc me before they sink me.

Threaded View

John,

So since conventional wisdom says to bond all metals except my thru-hulls, and since the only metal in my OB equipped (no inboard) Ariel is the rudder, and I have added zincs to the rudder shoe to protect the shoe and lower shaft and another zinc connected by a copper strip to the upper shaft, so that's it I suppose for bonding. I am stuill perplexed, however by Grocco's seacock installation instructions that say, "connect the sea cock to the vessel bonding system with 14 guage wire and a ring connector. A bonding screw bolt is provided on the sea cock flange for this purpose. Connection to the vessel bonding system must be in accordance with ABYC projects E-1, E-2, and E-9."

Although I do have some wires that must have led to what once was a linghtning grounding system, the wires now lead nowhere, unless of course somewhere there is a connection to my Loran RF ground (The rusted steel eye bolt in the bilge that is screwed into the lead ballast, which is encapsulated in glass, unless somehow the lead ballast is connected to the rudder shoe.

None of my former thru-hulls cockpit or head thru-hulls had attachment points. I have no other thru-hulls, so I better chase down those stray wires.

Can I rule out a connection betweeen by lead ballast and the rudder shoe, at least as built by Pearson?
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 09-02-2004 at 10:41 AM.
    Scott