+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sette / 1/4 berth storage drainage?

Cool Sette / 1/4 berth storage drainage?

I have a leak in a certain kind of rain storm. Names like Charlie, and Gaston have provided leak tests, and causing a problem that has popped up a couple other times since I have owned the boat.

The storage 'locker' under the Starboard Sette (or 1/4 berth whatever) gets 1/2" to 1 1/2" of water in it. The port side stays dry.

I am thinking that there mucst have been some provision for dranage originally, but can not seem to figure it out. I could just drill through the board and let it drain onto the sole, but I am wondering if I drilled aft of the cabin (around the battery box) if it might drain there.

I believe the leak is comming from the stbd running light, which will be deleted and glassed in once I re-finish the cabin top later this fall.

Thanks.

Guess no one wanted to address this issue. The leak, as you note, can be from most anywhere, but the resut it the same -- water collecting under the berth. Maika'i had lots of leaks and collected lots of water, so I just drilled a hole at the lowest point along the outer bulkhead of the bunk. At a steep upward angle since the hull is sloping upward The fix worked and the water just drained onto the sole (with all the other water) and into the bilge. Since all the leaks were repaired (mostly to do with the hull to deck joint) water no longer enters the underbunk area, but I do clean the holes regularly, just in cast.

Talking Thanks Bill

I think i have pretty much narrowed the leaks down, and the running lights are the biggest culprit right now. I want to glass them in and put one of those fancy tri-color lights up there just as soon as I learn to fly.

The logical place to drill seems to be right in the center of the berth, to drain onto the sole. I just can not seem to bring myself to do it. I drilled holes up forward, to open up the painted over holes that were under the V-berth, but it just seems like there would have been another drain point in the original design for this compartment.

I am going to continue bailing it, and trying to learn to fly, maybe these darn storms will let up soon.

Thanks,

Why don't you remove the current running light fixtures and cover the holes with tape? Mine have been that way for a couple of years -- working to get the original fixtures back on, but need to do some wiring first. Tri colors look too "modern" for the boat to me . . .

This little light of mine.......

I tend to use them, as I do sail after dark fairly regularly.

I have not figured out a good 'temporary' fix, as far as a gasket. The idea of taping them up has crossed my mind, as I could clamp something onto the bow but I think this is just one of a whole series of things pushing me twords pulling the boat, sanding and painting the decks.

My only problem, (and it is not the time or even the expense) is that I kinda enjoy being on the water alot and do not relish the idea sanding, when I could be sailing.

Thanks.

For gasketing material, I plan to use a sheet of rubber (plastic) and trim to fit each fixture. Hey, they make gaskets this way for older vehicles.

Mind if I chime in?
    Your leaks end up on the shelf no doubt. You could drill a hole where most water collects - a hole that just fits a vinyl tube for instance - run it down to a hole in the seat you've drilled for it. Thru the settee locker and out the face of the seat thru another hole. Temporary fix.

All holes in furniture can be filled and fixed later. Believe me. in an Ariel, furniture is too big a word for the stuff we have.
    Can't you make a gasket for the side lights? The water/moisture that gets in there is going to wander around between the cabin liner and the cabin mold - and dribble out where the side edges of the liner stop, right over the the shelves. Clever design. This is not a good place for sweet water as it could produce mould and odor.

The water on your shelf can also be coming from the chain plates, the stanchions. tracks, deadlights, handrails, wherever there is a thru fastening and deterioration of the balsa core. Pearson's contribution to yacht renovation. You are right tho, I know I found no balsa in the sides of the cabin, where the deadlights and the side lights are. Given that the lights as installed by the factory HAVE to leak and that there is no way to stop those leaks (as in 'the silicone smear',) then this has to be another source of liquid.

It's at best a funky solution to the problem (ie, constructing a scupper system to take leak water to the bilge.) But it might last a long while.
    Don't know what goop sticks to vinyl, maybe there's some pvc flex hose you can find that you'll be able to caulk in place. [Please, don't use silicone. Use polysulfide, available in toothpaste-sized tubes.] Hope there's a solution somewhere in this.
    Last edited by ebb; 09-08-2004 at 05:18 PM.

I believe Don Morrison called them "limber" holes. And, I think we discuss the issue in the manual Maika'i has lots of them . . .

The middle owner of Maika'i, Billy George, was living aboard, and in rain storms he was getting wet. Billy's solution? Cover everything everywhere outside with silicon! It took months to get the stuff off

+ Reply to Thread