+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Fangled Hoses & SEACOCKS!

Hybrid View

Thanks for all of the comments folks.
    here are a few answers:

Tony,

Drain/scupper tails sticking down from your cockpit? Shucks, I thought those were original. They seem to be part of the original deck molding on hull 330. They take 1 and 1/2 inch hoses You wanted some more photos. Here is one of the cockpit drain opening before the new fitting. The wood block is evident above the mesuring tape, but the tape measures "glass thickness only" at a little less than one inch. As I recall it measured 7/8 inch.

Ebb,

That isn't white corrugated hose in the photo above. That is Sealand "OdorSafe" sanitation hose with a smooth interior. It is stiff as can be, and hard to fit over the barbed plastic and bronze fittings on my boat. One the other hand I have noted that the stuff seems tight on some plastic Y valves on the West Marine shelves and almost too loose on others, so go figure. It seems strong and yet somewhat flexible. It just doesn't stretch easily. However printed on the outside of the hose are warnings about not exposing it to petrochemicals, solvents etc. So one would have to be careful about spilling solvents in ones cockpit, bit then again wouldn't that apply to most hose?

To all:

I agree with you all about the seacocks. When one you raised the specter of a flying toolbox colliding with an exposed, threaded through-hull stem below the in-line ball valve, I came to better understand the difference.

Frankly when I decided to have the yard remove and replace the through hulls and seacocks, I took it for granted that they would be installing seacocks. The deed was done by the time I comprehended the nature of what had been installed. The next step was to attempt to undertand the difference. Your comments have been most helpful.

The yard tells me, and my surveyor tells me, that installing these in-line valves is SOP these days, but I agree with you all that seacocks would be a far better way to go. I suppose that if of these through hull stems were to break off in a ragged tear below the valve, about the only way to plug the hole would be to go over the side and ram a wooden plug up into the hole: A horrid little thought.

I better add a crew member to my list. We'll call the person who volunteers for that duty a plug monkey. I hope plug monkeys can swim.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Scott Galloway; 08-18-2004 at 11:43 PM.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread