I was thinking of doing the repair recommended in the manual where you add steel plates to either side of the beam under the mast. Where I didn't see any bowing there before, or very little, it seems to be more pronounced now.
But I have lots of questions.

I guess I don't really understand why adding the plates would strengthen the strongback--they wouldn't really be resting on anything so they wouldn't actually bear any weight.

I met someone who did this on an Albin Vega but he recommended strongly that you not jack up the beam first, because of all the unknown stresses you might inadvertently add. He just added the plate to the beam as it was. Any opinions?

I pulled off some of the formica around the beam to see what was under there and I'd like to keep going with taking it off but it continues behind the lockers. Any suggestions for how to cut it flush with the top surface of the lockers? Also, I've been warned against doing this, the part I took off came off very easily but I guess if some of it is better adhered you could actually damage the bulkhead. Opinions?

also, I found three bolts already going through the beam--is that normal?

Robin
Mischief #44