Been thinking on this, and will be until I start doing something about it...

I took Franks post to mean that the ply - used as a stiffener - would be *on edge* (its laminates placed in a vertical orientation, like end-grain balsa). Each individual layer of wood being, in effect, the vertical component of an "I" beam. The fibers of the wood in the ply would be more-or-less vertical if it were installed that way. Laminated together flat the fibers would be horizontal, and function more like a leaf spring, right? Seems like that would be so...

Point loading: Exactly - I'm thinking "wide" in order to spread the point load of the mast base out.

The mast base pad on Katie measures a bit over 7.5" in diameter, but this sat on only a total (strongback + bulkhead edge) of 3.5" of structural support from belowdecks. (Not to mention that someone at the factory neglected to install the diagonal braces on this particular Ariel...) By making the beam 8" wide, I should see a lot more support from below.

I saw a different reaction than what you did when the deck was relieved of the mast burden. Mine has remained in the same slightly depressed shape, it didn't spring back up like yours did. I likely had more compression, due to my missing diagonal braces, though. In fact, I see evidence under the side decks that they flexed to a point which caused minor cracking - zoiks! So I am very much interested in spreading the load as far and as wide as I can, so that more of the deck/hull structure shares the burden.

I've given a lot of thought to different metal tubings as a brace. The ultimate would be 2" aluminum round tube, bent and welded in a shape just like that of the underdeck and hull shape, clear down and around. It would be as light as possible, very stiff and structurally strong, I think you could even do away with the entire bulkhead if you wanted, and it would look nicely "techno". It would not be cheap, however - I'd have to sell both CrewDogs and at least 1 kidney to be able to afford that! I think that if you welded up several square tubes, bent to fit the underdeck curve, you wouldn't need to fill them with anything other than some type of anticorrosive agent. But that would be complex, probably not cheap, and probably heavier than a wood or composite beam. Perhaps an I-beam made of flat plate, the top of it curved to mate the underdeck would work well, and be fairly easy and cheapest for a welder to make up. Maybe a wide box-shape, something like that. I don't weld, though, so someone else will have to pursue that route...

---------------------------

This weekend, I am going to take some scrap ply that I have - it's 1/2" or 5/8" - and rip it into 2" wide strips, then screw them together to make a 6-8" wide "test beam" - no curve, just a flat piece as long as the strongback will be. I'll put it up on some bricks or something, and jump up and down on it, maybe jack up my Toyota and set it down on it, see if I can destructively test it to get an idea of how strong such a construct might be. Kinda like that TV show.

If it proves strong enough, then next week I'll make one to fit the boat, tab it in similar to how the original strongback was tabbed (quick and easy), and then get some galvy pipe to support it with from belowdecks. At that point I'll be able to put the mast back up for some testing. It won't be hard to remove if it:

a) either doesn't work, or

b)works great, and just needs to be put it in properly - bedded in mishmash and glassed all over.