Thread: STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

Threaded View

Resorcinol vs epoxy - a small rant for those who are following through on the controv

google> Have epoxy adhesives improved recently - Sailing with Lin and Larry ...
    www.landlpardey.com/Tips/2007/April.html

You can also find discussions on The WoodenBoat Forum
    and the boat design forum.
    The second site seems to be sat on by guys like me who dog onto every new post and subject. I have a problem with them because what they say, often with something off color, is hearsay and somebody else's opinion - not even their own. They're comedians. And always NOT funny. I don't go there anymore.
    The WoodenBoat Forum seems more sane. Inquiries are often by first timers so the experts who answer are likely to be basic and simple.

On the designforum you will find those who put Larry down - for whatever reason.
    Larry at one point took at least one epoxy manufacturer to task for making false claims about the product. You no longer will find data sheets that say the epoxy is waterproof. Or stable in a cruising environment.

Lin and Larry have built their own sailboats and taken them around the world. Larry is an amazing observer. With tens of thousands of cruising miles in wooden boats I'll take his prejudice on glues for gospel. They have received recognition and awards (for their convictions and courage I expect.)
    I listen to them and ignore the jealous marina rats who can only put them down.

Both Resorcinol and epoxy have their limitations.
    The first because it is a technical glue.
    And epoxy because its versatility lulls people into ignoring its limits.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    We all labor with what we know - what we think we know - what we would like to know - with modern chemistry and with traditional ways of thinking and working, I don't believe any thread with prejudices and opinion is convincing.

So try this one on for size and follow it through to the end. It's on the www.woodenboat.com forum. And this is a "flog the dead horse" subject for many of these guys. This thread has a bunch of boat builders and amateurs talking about this subject. Not all the bases are covered but the thread is revealing and will help you come to an understanding of the problem.
    google: White Oak glued with Epoxy, PL, Gorilla Glue, Resorcinal The....
    (incluide the resorcinal (sic) misspelling.)
    The thread begins with "few 3" post
    Last edited by ebb; 02-02-2010 at 06:46 AM.