Thanks to Bill for your continuing efforts and to Dave (marymandara) for your efforts to discover and or produce masthead replacements and rudder shoes etc. Rather than respond on that thread in the "General - Off Topic" forum, I am asking for this new one on the topic of "Strengthening the mast support, strongbacks etc." in this "Technical forum"

My big technical problem right now is serious structural damage to the mast support area and strong back caused by a recent accident, and also a damaged mast head fitting. I have looked at the Association Manual and various threads on this site in regard to reinforcing or augmenting the strongback, and finding the necessary parts. The information seems to be spread all over, but the available information is incomplete.

I have found and reviewed photos of the main salon side of stainless steel plates added to the strongbacks in Sirroco and Orinoco Flow, but would be interested in shots of those installations from the forward cabin and also photos and text descriptions of approaches taken by others to deal with mast compression and mast support issues.

I had no personal issues in this area whatsoever, until two days ago, but in a harbor tabernacle-related accident on July 28th, my mast was driven downward and aft into the deck thus cracking the laminate or solid section under the mast clear through to the cabin liner. A previous owner unstepped the mast and modified the deck section with epoxy in time past in a manner which will not be clear to me until destructive testing has been initiated. I imagine that I may have my hands full shortly.

I have not been able to determine the extent of damage to the masthead fitting. It took the brunt of th eimpact, but transferred much of the force down the mast into the deck.

Just knowing that new mast head fittings may be available soon is very helpful to me.

I fear that the repairs may be both expensive and costly time-wise.

It would be nice to have all of this information in one thread on this forum. So if you all see fit, I could use some photos and words of advice in this area.