+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

Hybrid View

Bon Voyage!

Craig, Looks right on, the AL angle, great idea.

Don't forget the cabin laminate has a balsa core on top.
    Ended up cutting something like a 1'X1' square of A338's cabin top out and replacing it with solid layup of glass.
    The original mast electrics hole had invited rain water in which caused balsa rot. Balsa did not rot in the '60s.
    Whose idea was it to put balsa under the mast?

Discovered this with the mast removed and springing a batton over the top. Could see the top was flattened.
    But also, later discovered that the damaged composit had sprung back almost to its original curve.
    The cabin top was crushed mostly just under the maststep where the core had rotted.
    Inside, could see that the strongback had a space over its top - with the mast removed - and the composite returning to its original curve.

Found that all Pearson support framing on the bulkhead was only screwed together.
    My theory was, and still is, that, along with the shrouds pulling the mast into the boat over time,
    the factory support framing (which was NOT glued in) also had settled, SHRUNK, if you will, over time.
    The white oak beam I took out of A338 was in original condition....NO ROT....STILL CURVED....NOT FLATTENED in any way.
    And I still have it somewhere in the garage to prove it.

Pearson used the strongback also to squeeze and hold the forward part of the cabin liner in place.
    So on the V-berth side of the beam there was wider space between it and the cabin laminate because no liner inside.
    And Pearson, had slipped in some sort of funky shim pieces to make up the difference. Not wedging, just filler.
    But, like I say, the beam had air along the top. The 4' beam is also bandsawed square, while the cabin top is angled.
    They had also, in A338, misalined the liner when assembling, and the interface was a really wierd mess to look at.
    Not really knowing what was going on when trying to figure it out the first time - too funky to believe.
    Have to conclude the assembly was never tight to begin with.
    But over time Ariel has proven to be forgiving, anyway!

Think everything in the beginning was loose as a goose. But cinched up bent out of shape by the shrouds over decades.
    Cabin top is thick laminate and a pronounced curve. Not easy to flatten.
    Most A/C's are only sailed seasonally and on weekends, sit unused in marinas, they rest alot, and don't see much bluewater.
    I found nothing positive with the B-grade plywood bulkhead*-oak beam-and fir framing stuff to keep the mast from flattening the cabin.
    If the core is not rotten, then, perhaps all that is needed are well shaped shimes or wedges tapped in along the top of the strongback.
    *the plywood 'bulkheading' across the doorway was a separate piece, a space filler doing no work.

CONSIDER THIS....If I remember, the vertical 2X framing at the V-berth doorway - SEEMS to support the strongback beam - but stops on top of the V-berths.
    Just the mahogany trim goes down to the step......
    Could say the V-berths themselves (some cleats & plywood tabbed on one side to the hull) and a few wood screws are really what is holding the mast up.
    In fact, that's what Pearson did in A338.
    So again. in my opinion, quick-n-dirty mechanical construction...... just settling over time.
    [Admit I've gotten bent out of shape with Pearson's half-way measures.... on what they sent out from the factory as a coastal cruiser.]

Imco, the aluminum angle will help stabilize the inward pressure of the mast.
    But you still may find the shrouds loosening with passage sailing. Hopefully not!
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................

Sorry for the repetition of 'my thing' - found in many earlier posts. For me,
    MORC (Pearson designated: Midget Ocean Racer Cruiser) sounds more like a goblin... than a pretty Alberg sloop.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-26-2014 at 09:10 AM.

+ Reply to Thread