Thread: STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

Threaded View

STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

113 needs a new beam and since Ebb has broke the mold I think we're going to laminate a new beam similar to his. Fortunately for me, I have a friend that is well versed in the ways of wood. He's laminated everything from fishing nets to display cases to full blown foot bridges. He also finds my anxiety regarding this piece humorous. To him it's just another arc, but as we all know it's the backbone of our beloved little craft. So we've done some research and mixed his experience with a little nautical input. Here is where it has to end up. One of the previous owners did a repair(hack) job on the area NEAR the mast step but not really. As far as I can tell all they did was cut out the cabin liner in that area cut through the inner skin and then glue it back in completely cockeyed and unfair. Off by a strong 3/16" Not to mention that the inner skin is still mobile under the step. So we'll put in our strongback and main bulkhead first and then go topside and finish the job.
    p.s. I know-I know the plywood head liner doesn't look original. But it's stuck really well to the fiberglass so we'll deal with it. Actually it may facilitate in adding handholds forward.
    Attached Images