+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

Hybrid View

Strongback success??

I was admiring the work that you did in reconstructing your strongback (view below) and that gave me ideas for mine. I would like to open up the inside much as you have done, but being very new to this and rather ignorant besides, I was wondering if you left that space open or if you reinforced and closed the bulkhead back to its original format? Would it be possible to leave it open like that? Could you include pictures of your finished product? I know I would enjoy seeing that.
    Attached Images  
    Peter

strongback

Peter,
    We are outa luck here.
    TonyG and Kurt are also opening up their interiors simularly.
    Can't remember right now if any Ariels are sailing with this idea put to the test.

The span is less than 4'. Even less with the legs holding it up. My replacement for the original is laminated white oak of slightly larger section.
    With a select piece of airdry, I'm certain a similar arch could be bandsawed out of timber just like the original with NO loss in strength. In 338 the strongback is epoxied to the bulkhead across the top (which supplies zero strength) and the white oak legs are lapped with the beam and epoxied to the bulkhead going down to the V-berth top (which supplies some strength and a lot of stability. imco)

AND no deflection. It is impossible to imagine any load that would deflect the arch. Any push down by the mast and rig to straighten the arch would have to push the sides out. Can't see that happening. The legs coming down from the ends of the strongback, imco, have to distribute the load to the hull, another strong curved structure. The V'berth structure at the remaining bulkhead is considerably beefed up in 338. I think I stacked at least two more 'ends' of 3/4" plywood inside the V'berth spaces under the struts to support them AND to distribute the load to the hull. So it's about 3" thick there now. The struts are well supported. Theory.

What the Factory has there to support the mast these 40 year has been discussed here. I have my theorys about the problems we have and what a solution is.

On pg16 #234, I asked whether a compass arch would be even stronger. I was looking for more side room for bunking. And decided that the arch showed there would intrude into our limited space. But noone could have an arguement against the shape for strength. A smaller compass radius strongback that would fit up into the trunk and bear on a point directly under the mast would be the strongest possible. Kurt has a definite arguement with that. I did not make a doorply model for that shape but it would be interesting to see how it relates to that opening into the V-berth. It's been done with other small boats and sometimes makes a pleasing keyhole shape.

I've continued the bulkhead across the bottom of what used to be that doorway, creating a 'floor' or load bearing area across the keel. Lot of stuff going on here in 338 -the cabin sole ends, super-gooped pvc pipe scuppers go thru on way to bilge, the step up into the V-berth stateroom, and the bilge tank ends there. It's pretty solid by extending the V-berth sole 3 or 4 inches onto the cabin sole with solidwood floors under the mast above.
    and JUST IN CASE, a center pole support can now be installed to take the rigging load directly to the keel from the strongback.

Sorry about no action or photos. Wish I was CRUISING!!!
    Last edited by ebb; 02-13-2007 at 07:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread