+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STRONGBACK DISCUSSION etc.

Hybrid View

Scott,
    Perhaps a shorter winded person than me for this........but if you do wade back and weed thru the compression beam and/or bulkhead posts there is a wealth of info.

You have to remove the mast to access damage to the mast base area. And you do have to forensic what the DFO did there. It would indeed take enormous forces to do structural damage IMCO because the compression bulkhead and framing distributes the loads.

You separate out what the new accident caused, what the DFO caused (ie what his repairs were,) and what time has caused to the area by shrinkage of interior structure and the constant pushing of the mast down by the rigging. And decay that might be present in the composite (balsa core) and the beam. Then you figure what it will take to fix it - and what level of repair. If you a DIY then why not run it by the 'workers' on this forum?

I found, anyway, that the cabin top returned to its natural curve with the mast and the mast step removed, or nearly so, you can assume the cabin top was a fair curve befor the mast was set there. Then probe and assess the actual damage. Take photos!!!

[It is kind of like talking in your hat when you can't see what you are talking about. Descriptions sometimes take too long in words to form a mental image in the reader. Assuming the damage is extensive and the rise of the cabin aft f the mast was what the mast was forced into.... the drill is the same: ie remove the rigging and the mast. An actual crack in the molding of the cabin HAS to be posted here. The curves and radiuses make it immensely strong. Please post pics of the damage. I'm imagining something like a mortar shell If the pieces can be coaxed back to their former position then repair is really a piece of cake. A logical series of steps. Even a hole there would be easy to fix..]
    Last edited by ebb; 07-30-2004 at 05:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread