+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A-191 PARRANDA

A-191 PARRANDA

Joe Antos is working on his latest Ariel project -- PARRANDA. (Don't have a clue about the name, but it's cool) So far, Joe has removed the teak coamings and replaced them with a white plastic from the local Tap Plasitics store. More photos after there is more progress, but a couple of intersting items follow.

First, Joe is replacing the cabin top grab rails with stainless steel (only one of the two on each side, so far). Good place to attach halyards --
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2004 at 06:53 PM.

Another use for ss rails is to have a hand hold on the foredeck and to prevent the jib sheets from getting stuck under the lip of the hatch cover (sometimes opening it!). Another good place to attach halyards.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 07-13-2004 at 06:56 PM.

very nice indeed,

Have exceeding interest in photo of coamingsa and material used!!

Stainless Grab Rails

Joe has installed the second cabin top grab rail. A machine shop would likely make a two (or more) looped grab rail if one requested.
    Attached Images  

FWD HATCH SHEET PROTECTION

Here is another example of a way to keep the jib sheets from lifting or getting stuck under the forward hatch cover. A teak block rail . . .
    Attached Images  

FWD HATCH SHEET PROTECTION

Or, a teak grab rail . . .
    Attached Images  

PLASTIC COAMINGS

Now, about those plastic coamings Joe has installed . . .
    Attached Images  

PLASTIC COAMINGS

And another look . . . (I've E-mailed Joe for the name of the plastic . . .)
    Attached Images  

JOE REPORTS

. . . they called it Seaboard...... the two pieces were around $150.00 or a bit less... If I had them cut it, there would have been less waste because I had two planks cut... Joe

[Note: the plastic is white in color. I don't think it can be painted, but will see what Joe does with it.]

Unhappy Plastic coamings?

For the love of all that is holy! Stainless grabrails? Plastic coamings? I pray that no whisper of this heresy ever rises to phantomed ears of the noble Alberg, nor reaches the gleaming, varnished warmth of my Houdini's (A-407) teak and mahogany expanses. Heaven itself might run aground. Remember: practicality has its limits. It IS a sailboat, afterall.

But ask yourself if boat trim is "a means to an end or an end in itself." Are not teak and mahogany symbols of beauty for the embellishment of the aristocratic and wealthy? While stainless steel and plastic is the very essence of durability and practicality.

It is the unvarnished truth that fancy woods require a constant application of enamels, oils, and varnish. There is something to be said for the existential approach to yacht maintenance and more time sailing!

Wink Teak v stainless

The work to maintain, nay enhance, the fine woods on one of these classics is the homage one pays the boating gods for our good fortune to hold and care for one of these fine boats, Grasshopper. To suggest that one should concentrate only on the recreational use of these fine boats is to deny the ennobling example to be found in those who preserve and restore these beauties simply because they are beautiful and rare and graceful without effeminacy. I'll have to take a stand in favor of metaphysical Ariel ownership. I'll keep sanding and varnishing and being too proud of my little gem. Who's with me on this? Commanderpete?

Are not teak and mahogany symbols of beauty for the embellishment of the aristocratic and wealthy?
    Oh please...

Regular people can like varnished wood too.

Do what makes you happy and never attempt to compell others to your beliefs. To each their own, and that's fine.

Lookey here mr Lackey - has summer come yet to warm your cockles up, you ole downeaster? I can write plain vanilla when I have to, you know. Perhaps you miss the point and have a bit of unsubstantiated scolding to vent. Dear Sir! was trying to be interlocater between two widely amusing disparate approaches to yacht maintenance and yacht appoiointments.

We ARE talking here about A191 Parranda, to which you have an opinion or no. His workmanship is as fine as any I've seen on your well publisized Triton 381 pages. And Skipper Copeland is a literate Ariel owner in his own right. He is funny. too.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-21-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Binding arbitration?

Seems Ebb has taken the floor on our behalf, Joe--though you and I entertain diametrically opposed aesthetics, apropos the ectomorphic Alberg's nautical children. Too bad for Mr. Lackey, though. In bringing Ebb out, he seems to have called forth the more clannish demons among us Ariel and Commander devotees. But I am grateful. Sir Ebb, thank you for the review. However, you should know My Nearly Perfect Wife suggests you have unwittingly contributed to her personal annoyance in suggesting some putative humor amid my remarks. Rest assured: for her insubordination, she will be sent to the engine room to tune-up my A-4 and see to an oil change. This will mollify her, this will calm her inner-raging deck ape. You have to keep the enlisted men in check, you know.

+ Reply to Thread