+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main Sail Advice

Main Sail Advice

Can you all recommend sail lofts or offer advice on purchasing a new or used main sail? I have two mains: the original which I recently blew out, and a cruising main that is perhaps 2/3 the area of the original. Am using the cruising main, but could use more sail area in lighter airs.

What I want is a coastal cruising main with two sets of reef points, cunningham, and a leech line. I've been surfing e-bay and the lofts, but haven't found anything yet. I would be intersted in anyone's experiences with any brand of main sail -- good or bad!
    Ted Mahavier

Ted
    If memory serves me well, Peter Theis had a new main made not too long ago. The reason I call on Theis is because he had a loose footed main which would allow you to add alot of draft to the main for that light air you write of. I'm hoping this post will flush him out and he'll describe his loft and main a little more
    The main that came with 113 had only two seasons on it, however, I 'd like to have it modified to a loose foot and add a cunninham and full battens. Being Theis is in our neck of the woods his loft may work out.
    Nice write up in the latest newsletter. We allways like to hear the story. Tony G

TRY HOGIN SALES

Our recommended loft, Hogin Sails, has just been sold. The new owners plan to continue using the Hogin's sail cutting designs. This means great sails for Ariels and Commanders at really very good prices. (Search on Hogin Sails and read the posts.)

Since Bob and Emily are staying with the new owners for a couple of months to help the new owners learn the business, it may be a good time to contact them for your new main.

Hogan Sails
    1801-D Clement Avenue
    Alameda, CA 94501
    (510) 523-4388

E-mail: hogin@aol.com

I'm pretty sure the Ariel Association discount still applies.

Bill
    Is Hogin's where Ed Ekers picked up his main?

Tony,

Yes, he has a Hogin main, working jib, 120% and 155% Genoas. I have all the same except for not having the 120%.

Good news about the loft keeping the Ariel patterns. Hogin made a great sail and hopefully the new owners will provide the same quality. Bought a new main three years ago and have been nothing but impressed since.

Tom

My main was West Marine sail made by Quantum out of Texas (Actually, the main was made in South Africa). The loose footing has worked out well. I use a small sett of (one set of three and a second of two) blocks at the outhaul to get a 6:1 purchase, but could get by with 4:1 leverage. Make sure there is a slider riding in the slot at the outhaul to keep the clew down next to the boom at the outhaul. They didn't put that on the sail the first pass. Without the slider there is a lifting force on the outhaul which does increase the necessary leverage.
    Last edited by Theis; 07-15-2004 at 05:22 AM.

Thanks to all for the information. I got a quote from Hogin for a double-reefed, loose footed main with partial battons, cunningham, insignia, and numbers. I've included below what Hogin wrote back. I also did the on-line quote thing for Airforce sails for the same features in a sail (through sailnet.com). NOTE: Airforce sail is 5.9 oz, not 6.65oz. Their quote was $1152. At least one Ariel owner that I know is happy with the Airforce. Clearly there are Ariel owners out their happy with Hogin sails as well. Theis -- will you divulge pricing on the Quantum sail to round out the thread?

Hogin wrote: "ted we are still here the price for 6.65 oz main is currently $1326 plus $155 for each reef the ariel discount is 20% so your price is $1309 with 2 reefs plus $35 for shipping we do not have used sails. as you know we specialize in Cruising sails and have developed a light very strong and durable construction. we triple stitch,use a leech doubler up past the highest reef and down past the reinforcements at the head, bring the leech line out at each reef with cleats, and reinforce at the inner ends of the batten pockets.All slides are webbed on and the sail comes with tapered battens,bag,insignia,numbers and cunningham. delivery in 4 weeks from reciept of deposit thanks bob hoginm "

That's the report to date. I'll probably still post for a used sail under the Off-topic thread.
    Ted Mahavier

I'll look it up in the next couple days. I don't know how relevant it is because I bought them in 1999, and the purchase was for a complete set of sails (3 jibs and a main). I had two sets of reef points, but no cunningham (using the downhaul instead). You might do better getting a quote directly from West. Their sailmaking situation was going through a series of catastrophies at the time, and by now has settled down.

My gut opinion, when buying sails, is to buy local from someone with a reputation. That reputation is worth a lot to a sailmaker - and when they are local, they know you can look they eyeball to eyeball. But that does not mean that just because they are local they are good. Hogin has a good reputation as I understand it and I can't believe the new owners would risk screwing up.

Theis brings up a point I have a curiosity about. What is the value of a cunningham if one has a downhaul? Can anyone weigh in on the subteties of using one versus the other for boat tuning?

I tend to agree that local is GOOD. And I have a local sailmaker that I have done business with for 25 years that I may well use if I can't locate a used sail! But even with him, it's best to have some quotes to show him so that he knows what price to beat!!!!He's so good he refuses to repair my 40 year old sail anymore!!!! I keep saying -- just a few more years, and he finally said "NO" when I asked him to put a second set of reef points in it.
    Ted Mahavier

Great Question regarding downhaul v. cunningham. I think i asked that once before, perhaps on this site. It will be interesting to see if we come up with the same answer this time.

The earlier answer was it is six of one, and half a dozen of the other. They both do the same thing, and you only need one. The reason for the cuningham is that many/most boats do not have their gooseneck mounted on a track - i.e. the boom is not set up for a downaul. The gooseneck position is fixed and there is no downhaul. This is a given if you have a rigid vang between the boom and the mast step to avoid having a topping lift.

So, from my understanding, if you have the original gooseneck on a track, you have no need for a cunningham - period!

We'll see if other answers come out the same.

+ Reply to Thread