+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Posting Photos

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Posting Photos

How do you compress a jpeg if it has too many bits to be accepted on this bulletin board?

Also, how can you make photos smaller so they are easier to read here without scrolling side to side?

Thanks for any help. Please speak slowly, since I'm still a computer newbie.

Pictures

What software do you have?My digital camera takes pictures at 1,200 to 1,600 gigabites way too much for this web page ,this page can take about 150 gigabites,I have to send all my pictures to microsoft picture and down size them.I think you can down load this basic program off their web site,if not there are others.You dont need a digital camera to post pictures,just have your pictures put on a cd when you have them developed off of any camera type or film.Also most Walmarts or other stores that develope film have scanners that you can scan in your own pictures and put them on a disk or floppy.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-12-2002 at 10:11 AM.

Pictures

My digital take huge pictures as well. I use Photoshop to downsize them, but I would like tohave them a little bigger than they show. I guess I wil have to experament to find the optium configuration.

Gif's take less space than a Jpeg, but lose some quality. Software should come with your camera to edit them and change formating

I am so delighted to hear others have this problem. I figured it was just me. And when I hear about an Adobe package for $500, I think of some of the things I would like to get for the boat. I'm all ears when someone comes up with a solution.

Most scanner software also provides ways to decrease the size of the file. And, I believe there is an Adobe package for home use that cost under a hundred bucks.

Smile

Here is a link to Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edition:

Click On Me Please

The price is $49. Not too bad.

PhotoDeluxe is fairly easy to use. For those accustomed to the basic Windows type interface it may take some practice before understanding the methods the developers had in mind (Darn Macintosh people).

This program will allow you to resize, crop and repair photos. I have been successful with taking a picture of my car that was really underexposed and making it look pretty good. You could actually see details of the car. It ended up looking like an overcast day rather than midnight. I did this using the auto-fix function in the application.

Pretty neat.

-Bill

photo software

Hey folks,

Just go to www.hamrick.com and download his free to try software

I liked it so well I eventually bought and registered it after using it for a year or so and all the upgrades are free. It hasn't got all the bells and whistles of a full blown 500.00 software but you can make your own screensavers ... slideshows ... resize.... switch between all formats and filetypes.. make gifs out of jpegs etc. etc. Enhance to your hearts content!!!

Try it .... You'll love it!

Russ

Post IT'S THE PIXELS

It appears that to control the physical size of a graphic posted here, you must change the pixel count.

Adobe Photo Delux has pixel control under the size button (you are offered inches, pixels and other options).

Set the pixel count at a maximum of 500 or 600 for longest side of the photo. The resulting photo grahic should fit nicely when posted.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Just came across this free photo editing software--Faststone Image Viewer

http://www.faststone.org/

It lets you resize photos to any degree.

It also lets you rotate the photo by degrees. Sometimes its difficult to get the horizon level when you're taking pictures from a boat

Here's a real bad photo
    Attached Images  

rotate a bit
    Attached Images  

then crop

The software has many other features, but this is all I figured out so far
    Attached Images  

Not a very timely reply , but...

A really good, completely free program for this is Irfanview. It's very small (only a 1-2 megabyte download), fast, and works really well.

http://www.irfanview.us

And here's a page that is a Tutorial on how to use it for the basics:

http://www.deadzoom.com/member/nktow...w_Tutorial.htm
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread