Thread: Nissan 6 HP 4 cycles

Threaded View

I ordered a Tohatsu 6 pitch 8" diameter High Thrust prop that Tohatsu makes for the 4/5/6 hp four cycles. I was using a 7" pitch which is less pitch than the standard prop that ships with these outboards. The high thrust propeller is the same one that they put on the so called saildrive version of these small four strokes. The results with the new elephant ear low pitch prop are very good and I'm happy I spent the $69 for it.

1. Low end is much better at driving the boat
    2. There is far less hesitation when throttling up when the outboard goes between the low speed and high speed jets. I think this is because there is less resistance with the High Thrust prop which allows faster increase in RPMs than the 7 or 8 inch pitch.
    3. The outboard is achieving higher RPMs at all throttle settings, especially at the top end. With the old props, it always sounded as if my 6hp was "lugging" and not getting up to 5,000+ RPMs. Now the lugging sound is gone.
    4. The wide open throttle has now gone from 6.0-6.1 mph to 6.3 mph. So no loss of speed, slight improvement, but without the lug on the engine and without the hesitation and potential stalling that happens with the old props.
    Last edited by Hull376; 11-04-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Kent