+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nissan 6 HP 4 cycles

Hybrid View

Welcome aboard Lou,

My 6hp Tohatsu fits just fine laying on it's side (as long as it is tiller side down).

I do find that the 20" shaft (really more like 22") is about that I would care to try to stow. It goes in prop first, and then the powerhead will clear. I would not recommend the 25" (extra long) shaft option as I doubt that would stow.

That said, I have also dropped my 3hp Johnson (the little twin) in the well. We carried it for the dingy, but it would move my Ariel.... not winning any drag races with it though. Much easier to lift and stow, but probably not suited to cruising.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey Lou, Welcome

You can find the weight of various outboards here

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...r&gtc=ob&any=0

4-strokes tend to be heavier, but the Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc engines seem to be very light. The 4,5 and 6hp all weigh about 55+ lbs. That's probably about the same as your Johnson 6hp 2-stroke.

The 2.5 and 3.5hp Tohatsus weigh about 41+ lbs. Not a huge weight savings (although signifigant if you're trying to manhandle the thing on a pitching boat).

http://www.tohatsu.com/outboards/index.html

To get an engine around 30+ lbs you would probably need to find an older, small 2-stroke like Craig has

Harpswell, Me. (where we sail) and Austin Tx.
    Thanks for the input. Looks like a 6hp. Tohatsu is in my future. I'll try just keeping it stowed over the summer until I need it. I would love to retro fit an inboard, but the cost would be more than I paid for the boat.
    Thanks again,
    Lou

+ Reply to Thread