+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nissan 6 HP 4 cycles

Hybrid View

You don't want to lay a four stroke on it's side. Crankcase oil gets into the cylinders and the motor won't run. For storage out of the water I built a small removeable stand that fits on the forward edge of the well that I can hoist the motor on to and secure it with the prop out of the water. I pull the motor and rest the prop guard off to the side in the lazarette while I mount the stand and then set the motor on it. It's pretty easy and avoids having to lift the motor all the way out of the lazarette and stow it below or somewhere else. It would also probably work well with the Garhauer (sp?) lift or any hoisting mechanism attached the backstay. It is NOT designed or suitable for carrying the motor while underway but I like having the motor mounted and ready to use when I go somewhere. Can provide pics if desired as soon as new camera arrives.

Tom

I think I have nursed my Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke about long enough.... (I have only been talking about replacing it for 2 years).

I know that onlineoutboards.com has the 4 stroke 6 hp Nissan / Tomatsu / (merc) for about $1300. Anyone have a used one or know of one for sale?

Am driving from FL to VA soon, so pretty much anywhere in between would be ok.

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Our Nissan has not been very satisfactory. Borrowed an older Johnson 6 "sail master" for last season and it worked flawlessly.

bow board for reverse

Thor Heyerdahl proved that aboriginal Peruvians navigated their balsa rafts by sticking boards down between the logs.

I wonder if an oar or paddle could perform a similar service off the bow of an Ariel. I dunno - lashed to the pulpit and anchor roller a flat board straight down close to the center line in front of the bow might give it some tooth
    to make backing up at least POSSIBLE?
    Last edited by ebb; 05-23-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Ebb,

While I would love to see someone use your aboriginal Peruvian bow thruster... I realy do not think it is necessary for the outboard A/C's.

Faith will back pretty well. Better then many of the fin keel, detached rudder boats I have sailed. I think that is one of the advantages of the outboard in the well is the ability to 'vector' the thrust. It is really pretty easy to coordinate the tiller, and the outboard to gain some control in reverse. It is especally nice to be able to shift into fwd, and 'kick' the stern over when things get tight. I bet that your set up on Little Gull will work well, so long as that beautiful plug is not in place when you are docking.

-----------------------------------------------------------

JBM,

What aspect of the motor's performance were you dissatisfied with? Could it be that the motor needs to be re-propped?

--------------------------------------------

OBTW, this thread has more of the 'Outboard Discussions'.
    Last edited by c_amos; 05-23-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: add link to Outboard Discussions thread.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

The prop could have been the problem. It seemed to choke/overheat when running at higher speeds. It came back from the boat yard last spring with several broken parts inside - not sure who's fault it was.

Craig:

We purchased a 6hp 4-stroke Tohatsu last year and LOVE it! It has been a great outboard. Moved our little Ariel from Cape Canaveral to Wilmington up the ICW without a hitch. Fits very nicely in the well. The long shaft doesn't cav even on a major heel.

BTW I have a used Suzuki 6hp 4-stroke for sale. PM for details but it's a great little motor too! New water pump and carby and fresh paint.. 2003 model I think?

Andrew

Somewhere on this site is a picture??

+ Reply to Thread