+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nissan 6 HP 4 cycles

Nissan 6 HP 4 cycles

I had a Jonhson 9.9 two cycle on my boat (Ariel 194) . I could attained speed of 5.8 knots while motoring. With the nissan 6 HP with the 7 inch propeller what should I expect ?

Andre Roberge
    andre@aspasie.com
    Ariel 194

My guess....

I bet you will find the speed to be about the same.

My Yamaha 6 drives mine to hull speed, just as my
    Suzuki 8 did. I think that you will be quite happy with
    the 6hp.

Maybe someone on the pannel has direct expereince with
    the nissan / tomatsu 6 and can report their speed.

OBTW, Welcome aboard!~

Yamaha 6 HP

Does the yamaha 6 HP fit in your motor well

Andre

Yes, It fits well.

The Yamaha 6 I have is a 1998 model, 2 stroke so the cover is not as high as the 4 stroke is. I have looked at the 4 strokes, (there is a 9.9 on the boat one buoy over from me in the marina) and they look like they would fit fine though.

One additional thing to think about, I understand the only difference between the 6 and the 8 is the throttle travel limit,
    it may well be the same on the 4 strokes.

Seems like someone here should have one (4 stroke) and be
    able to give a more authoritative answer.

For a complete discussion of replacement outboard engines click on the search button and enter the word "outboard." The consensus on the board seems to be 6hp from either Tohatsu, Merc, Yamaha or Nissan (all the same basic engine).

Nissan 6 HP

I bought the Nissan 6 HP 4 cycle in June for my Ariel the price paid 1660 $ CDN. Just came back from my one month summer cruise in the Gulf St-Laurence in Quebec, Canada. I got some bad weather, 7 foot wave and never run out of power with the engine actually it did the same job as my 9.9 HP 2 cycles so I recommend that engine.

Andre Roberge
    Excalibur Ariel 194

To add to the confusion: my Yamaha 2 cycle, when new, pushed me along at about 6.2 -and did this reliably. The motor, I am now told has low compression from wear, and is about the equivalent of a 6. It does about 5.8. The big difference is that it doesn't take much now to slow down the hull speed (slight head wind, waves, etc.), whereas earlier in its life, the hull speed stayed in the 6.0 range regardless. So the power of the motor affects more than speed on flat water.

I had a Honda 7.5. It broke. I bought a Nissan 6 hp. I can cruise five knots plus on a flat sea. It is slower when motoring into a swell and head wind. I like the light weight, the ease of storing it in the lazarette. If you buy one, do buy the flushing plug, and then make up a small hose length that has a reducer to match the flushing plug and fits on a dock hose on the other end.

I thought of my boat as being adequately powered until I saw the little bitty prop dangling from the outboard well in front of that elegantly full keel at haul out. You will like your Nissan 6, but see how silly you will look:
    Attached Images  
    Scott

Do any of these four strokers come with a non-cavitating reversing prop? The prop in the photo generally has little drive when in reverse because the engine exhaust is fed right into the prop causing it to cavitate. It is possibly even worse when the exhaust exits through a center hub. They go at high speed in reverse, but there is minimal reversing thrust.

For those that need a strong reverse, particularly when entering or exiting their slip in a blow, the Yamaha has an anti-cavitating prop that works spectacularly. It will stop an Ariel almost instantaneously. Tremendous reverse power. Enter the slip at a couple miles an hour with full steerage, throw it into reverse and voila - stopped dead.

Does anyone know if these are available with any other motor than a Yamaha? Particularly with the four stroke?

Theis,

That's my boat in the photo. I push my boat out of the slip, swing the bow and then shift from neutral to forward. Backing is that pesky. One problem is that when the Nissan shifts from reverse to forward, it takes forever to start moving in the other direction. The other problem is that the boat just doesn't back down well with the motor aft of the propeller. As far as cavitation on the Nissan 6 four stroke, hmmm, I'll have to think about that. I can tell you that backing down is a real challenge. I was able to back the boat for the haul out this week, but it is always high adventure.

I did see something quite marvelous a couple of years ago at the Boat Show in Alameda. A fellow there had a Saildrive unit that used a Honda 12 hp motor for a top end. I thought that was pretty slick, because with a slight modification to the fiberglass housing, I think that it would fit into an Ariel OB well, and you would never have to haul the motor, but you could haul it if you wanted to do so without hauling the boat. ...no more motor lifting, and no more wet lazarette problems. The whole unit weighed around 90 or 100 lbs as I recall, which is a bit heavy that far aft, but not prohibitively so. The only downside was the price. That was enough of a downside that I walked away.... but there is a business for someone: Build a Saildrive unit for Ariels and Commanders and you will have a market for Bristol 27s and a whole host of Columbia owners who have boats with OB wells.
    Scott

The problem of going in reverse with the Ariel is what I was addressing. Look at the Yamaha prop. I was in high winds today with problems both leaving and returning to the slip. The reverse really pushed the boat backwards - I think faster than if gets the boat going in forward. Coming in, I probably stopped from a 2 mph speed (or so it seemed) to zero in about two feet. I never use people power to stop the forward way.

You may have been addressing another problem with the Ariel regarding backing. The bow catches the wind and is blown around, while the stern stays on course. For example, with a wind hitting the bow, backing up is fine, but the bow will be blown down wind and the boat swung ninety degrees. The same phenomenomenonormonomon (Sp?) would happen even without a motor pulling the boat backwards, in my opinion.

We have the nissan 6hp.

We must back out of a tricky slip, we use the tiller and the motor tiller to steer. Works pretty well. we can almost spin the boat in place.

More on the Nissan 6

We bought one this year through Cabelas. Runs great starts easy, pushes the boat nicely although I think we should get the smaller prop. Is there a site online where one can buy Nissan accessories such as prop, flushing plug, controls, and pull-start-through-the-top thing? Also, the owners manual says not to store motor in sideways position, only upright so we have been leaving it in the water. Has anyone had any problems laying the motor in the lazarette?

You don't want to lay a four stroke on it's side. Crankcase oil gets into the cylinders and the motor won't run. For storage out of the water I built a small removeable stand that fits on the forward edge of the well that I can hoist the motor on to and secure it with the prop out of the water. I pull the motor and rest the prop guard off to the side in the lazarette while I mount the stand and then set the motor on it. It's pretty easy and avoids having to lift the motor all the way out of the lazarette and stow it below or somewhere else. It would also probably work well with the Garhauer (sp?) lift or any hoisting mechanism attached the backstay. It is NOT designed or suitable for carrying the motor while underway but I like having the motor mounted and ready to use when I go somewhere. Can provide pics if desired as soon as new camera arrives.

Tom

I think I have nursed my Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke about long enough.... (I have only been talking about replacing it for 2 years).

I know that onlineoutboards.com has the 4 stroke 6 hp Nissan / Tomatsu / (merc) for about $1300. Anyone have a used one or know of one for sale?

Am driving from FL to VA soon, so pretty much anywhere in between would be ok.

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread