+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main Halyard relacement sheave

Main Halyard relacement sheave

I want to change my mast head sheave for my main halyard and I have no idea where to get a replacement. I want to switch over to a all line (no wire) system. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also, does anyone ever use the jib sheet pad eyes that are mounted on the foward cabin top? I am rebedding everything and am wondering what to do about those.

The shieve for the main halyard is custom to Pearson. (See the appendix to the manual for a drawing.) No need to change it unless the shieve is broken (we installed a bearing in ours during the 1980's). Maika'i uses all rope halyards with existing blocks.

The pad eyes on the cabin top are meant for the original very high clew working jib (110%). Most of us now use working jibs that are closer to deck sweepers along with deck mounted jib track for the leads. To see such a set up, use the search button to look for "jib track" or similar and you should find some photos.

For the larger headsails (120% up), the deck mounted track begins just behind the after most chainplate and out next to the toe rail. Take a look at the photos of the Alameda Ariel in the "Gallery" fourm. One shows the Genoa track layout.

Masthead Sheave

I too need to replace the main halyard sheave. It'd dead to the extent that Dave (or the owner before him?) replaced it with a cheek block bolted to the side of the mast. Not ideal but it works. But I can only wonder for how long...

The manual says the pulley has a 6-1/2" OD and 1/2" hole. I found nothing on the web matching those dimensions. Has anyone replaced the sheave? Where did you find the replacement? Did you drop the mast?

I'd like to leave the mast up but see the side stays attach to same bolt the sheave rotates around. That means sheave replacement requires sidestay removal. I'm a bit reluctant to send Wayne to the top of the mast only to remove half the standing rigging.

Any thoughts?

That's been that way for a Loooonnnnggg time, well before I owned her.

You'll notice that the one up there currently is on the large side?

Its predecessor LOOKED plenty fine and sound...until the fine evening that it just sorta grenaded and dropped me down the mast. Hence the particularly beefy replacement with the particularly beefy fasteners.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I started going aloft to work on stuff when I was 8 or 9. Always was pretty cavalier about it, kept an arm and/or leg around the mast like dad taught me and didn't give it a second thought...I'd go up anybody's main halyard, anytime.

That arm around and the legs...well, Dad's training saved my butt, probably my life. All the same, I got a nasty disc herniation in the neck...and the wire part of the halyard that passed me on its' and my way down near tore my right ear off. The block missed my buddy Tom's head by a couple inches. Everybody got lucky.

Maybe two minutes before--or less--I'd been hanging out backwards using one foot to push AGAINST the mast to help position my body and both hands to install a replacement block for the spinnaker halyard. Yikes.

After that I took a bit of harsh advice from a friend who is an accomplished rigger (and has known two guys who've fallen...one not as far as I did...who are both no more) and bought a good size pair of double blocks which can be made up as a handi-billy and hoist on TWO halyards. I think I was using the anchor rode as the line. Anyway, it's a much more secure plan and the guy on the winch downstairs will have less grunting to do as well.

Failing that, a simple prussic knot around the mast...actually you need to set up a second as you pass the spreaders...will fetch up and slow or stop your fall should you get the highspeed elevator down off a single halyard.

Sorry everyone if I am repeating myself, but anytime the topic of going aloft comes up I try to relate this experience in hopes no one else has it.

Best,
    Dave

Dave!

I thought I remembered your mentioning the repair pre-dated your ownership. Despite your strength upgrade, I can't help but wonder when the retrofit will fail. I worry the halyard will start to cut through the sheave and bind (probably nylon vs delrin). Too, the whole mess looks to be under a tremendous strain when the sail falls on the opposite side of the sheave. A new block seems the solution.

Regarding your experinces up the mast: I got 35 lbs on Wayne suggesting he's the fool in the bosun's chair and I'm the grunt at the winch. Watch the 11:00 news for updates.

I remain optimistic someone has a line on a main halyard sheave, no?

IMHO, it appears to be time to take down the mast and do the job correctly. Remove the bolt holding the upper shroud tangs -- it's the axil for the shiv. If the old shiv remains, you may be able to insert a bearing and use it for another 40 years (that's what we did). If not, you can have a new one fabricated. It would be a good time to check the steaming light, VHF antenna (if there is one, if not, you can add one), wind indicator, upper shroud terminals and remove unwanted hardware. This will also give you a chance to inspect the mast step assembly

+ Reply to Thread