+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Portholes

Lightbulb Replacing Portholes

I need some input from those who have replaced the forward ports and the glass in the main cabin ports. My two forward portholes are broken, corroded and leaking. The glass on the four in the main cabin are scratched and I would like to know how to fix. Any ideas on where to buy replacements would be appreciated. Ariel #399 in Tampa Bay, Fl

The Association's manual has a section on port replacement and a llst of suppliers of original and replacement hardware. Although you may get away with using 1/4 inch glass, the actual thickness is closer to 5/8 inch.

For original ports contact Ronstand, RI, Inc. PO Box737, Chepachet, RI 02814 -- 401-949-4268

Bill,

5/8 or 5/16 ?

Exclamation

Ops. Did I say 5/8? I meant to write 5/16 or 3/8. It must be the "senior moments . . . " :Ugh:

Yes, that's what I mean I'm sure I said 3/16 . . .

Terry in Bermuda Guest

Replacing Portholes

I am about 3/4 through rebuilding Ariel # 385 here in Bermuda. All deck hardware had to be removed because of failed screws and bolts. I have refinished most of the unique Pearson hardware and replaced others. The boat did not have the original 4 main cabin portholes and I would like to make contact with anyone who might be able to direct me to a supplier of original portholes. I have contacted bowman but would still like to have original if possible.

Thanks
    Terry in Bermuda

If you want , you can contact ;

Rostand R.I. , INC
    PO Box 737
    Chepachet , R.I. 02814

They want over $880 for a set of 4 , in bronze , a bit pricey in my book , plus add shipping to the 'Onion Patch ' and you are over a grand .

Mike G

Please note -- New provider. See: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ad.php?p=13247
    Last edited by Bill; 12-18-2006 at 06:43 PM.

Terry in Bermuda Guest
    To Mike Goodwin

Thanks for the contact.

Terry

ports and lights

Missed calling Rostand again today. Understand from a previous message on the machine that he is no longer going to offer finisht bronze ports and windows. He will still supply UNFINISHED right out of the mold castings. You grind the mold marks off, polish and buff, drill holes....a lot of time.
    I'm going to find out if the $900 tab is for all six, all the bits and pieces, and the glass It is though a lot of separate pieces.....at a pretty high price.
    Anybody else interested? Maybe we could drive the price down on a 'group order.'

That $880 is just for the 4 big ones .
    The 2 little ones are extra $$$.

$$$

HOLY CATFISH!!!

I'm thinking about replacing the the picture windows with opening ports . I'd rather have the air here on ChesBay . I have 6 Beckson 5 x12 and it looks like they will fit 3 to a side where the non opening ports were . I'll go with a 4x10 where the opening ports were .
    Rostand can keep those gold plated ports .

plastic surgery

IMHMO,
    wait a minute, isn't there a lot of appealing ariel identity in those cabin windows at stake here? Aren't` they Alberg's signature? I even find those blocky Beckson forward ports a bit off. Not wrong, it's just that the man's finesse is being erased.
    I swear you will have that tall ghost of a bignosed ectomorphic swede to contend with. That corner-cutter everette might agree with you guys, he'd put Beckson below the waterline if it saved him a buck. The number is not auspicious also: Threee lights on a side, not four! It'll look like an offbrand. And squinty.
    I'm putting some stuff together for bronze casting. Like I'm almost considering patterns that have two extra verticals inside each window (ala cast alum Bomar hatches) This effort would effectively keep me off the water another year.

Aside from ventilation, one solution I've seen is to thrubolt some dark lexan thru the cabin sides and trim them out to near the original specs. Inside you can finish the windows off in mahogany or teak. Some Ariels must have done this already.

Those big non-opening ports loose their appeal on a hot August night on ChesBay .
    Signature or what , I never liked them on the Pearsons , the Bristols , The Columbias , etc, etc. They are very 60's tech . Opening ports have a lot more appeal when the air is blowing thru .
    I also find it easier to make an opening port stop leaking then those picture windows .
    To me it is like replacing those crappy old slot topped winches with Lewmar self-tailers , just makes sense .

:Ugh:
    It's like Mickey Mouse with square ears.:>

+ Reply to Thread