+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: andersen winches

andersen winches

Scandvik booth at the boat show had two for the price of one deal on Andersen winches. Two 28s cost around a thousand, without the round cleat on top. I had left my duffle bag full of cash at home.

How much are we spending these days for winches? - seemed outrageous to me!

lewmar 14ST's

my lewmar 14 st's were ~$315 each at the annapolis boat show in Nov 02.
    IMCO, 28's seem like overkill.
    I was agonizing over the Anderson 16's for a long time, but went with the ST's.
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Lewmar winches rate almost as highly as the Anderson's. For me, it was chrome-bronze. My delemma was getting the 16 st or the 16 two speed (can't get both with the 16's). Went with the self tailing because we race and spouse is often working the jib sheets.

As I've noted before, Lewmar offers a "trade in" deal, but really does not want to see your old winches. At least Defender didn't when I purchased our Lewmar's.

Anderson winch prices

Happened across my notes.
    The special boatshow deal for the plain ones if you buy two:
    $612 for the 16s
    $1351 for the 28s

Ebb
    Beleive it or not, that's not a bad deal for Andersons. I have yet to find an item they sell that IS inexpensive.

Tony G

Gol darn square heads!

By dividing the cost for two by the winch number I get 38.25 and 48.25. Don't know what this means... but obviously there is an increase in this result the larger the winch number. The bigger the winch the more we are to pay EXPOnentially! I figure that the next size up will cost $2810 for two, Sail Expo price.

But what I'ld really like to understand is what the winch numbers actually refer to? 12 - 14 - 16 - 28 ? The number of old time clipper ship sailors it took to pull a thousand fathoms of 1" hemp with a thousand pound hook around a capstan? As in horsepower?

Last edited by ebb; 04-17-2004 at 05:45 AM.

I think it refers to a "force multiplier" for a standard winch handle. I cannot remember if the standard is a 8" or 10" handle.
    for my 12ST, 1lb force on the end of the winch handle is 12 lb force on the line.
    for winches as big as the 28, certainly it has multiple speeds, so the 28 refers to the "highest gear" or the one that gives you the most mechanical advantage. the other speed (usually faster) has less mech. advantage, and is somewhere around 1/2 of the rating. so maybe 12-16 for the 28.
    Make any sense? I should really learn how to write better.
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Oh oh

So I suppose these Lewmar 42s I've got are considered, shall we say, a bit robust for the boat? Is it the fact that they weight so much or that they will 'twang' the forystay like a guitar string that makes them oversized? My reasoning at the time of purchase was, two speed, self-tailing whinches for THAT price, I'll take them. They showed up on e-bay soon after the 'Lewmar trade in, trade-up offer' started and sure enough they were replaced with new Lewmar 40 according to the seller. Any way, because they're too big for my boat I'm willing to trade for new Anderson ST's of propper size Tony G

H m m m m ....ok, got the concept.

What size is the original South Coast what came with the Ariel?

Why is a new winch any better? Unless ofcourse you are going up a size to make hauling the jibsheet easier. Or tweeking the halyards easier because you've turned them aft over all those little wheels.

On another note: I have heard that a hero winch or two would be real handy to get a boat out of real trouble. And the bigger the winch the better. Don't think 338 will have one up front.

Maybe, when I'm holding the boat off a lee shore some dark and stormy night, two grand (for four A's) won't seem like too much insurance at all!

I am usually eager to learn new things, so this is a truly naive question. I have been reading this thread, and thinking about how much I love the bronze single-speed, non-tailing winches that were originally installed on my boat in 1965 by the Pearson factory.

I admire those great big double-speed self-tailing winches that hardware companies sell at boat shows. I have found them essential on large boats, and they work pretty slick, but am not motivated to buy a pair for my Ariel.

Now I am not racing, and I am willing to head up and luff a bit to sheet-in, but can someone tell me why I would want to spend more than the price that I paid for my boat on a new pair of jib sheet winches? I never even bring my winch handles above deck with the winches I have now.
    Scott

Scott,

I love my old winches. They are kewl.
    Attached Images  
    Kent

south coast winches

Rumour has it that somebody out there has rehab parts for our winches. If anybody knows......

In the meantime I suggest a letter writing campaign urging
    GARHAUER to get into the winch business!

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Self tailers are just a luxury. They add some convenience, especially when short-tacking up a channel singlehanded.

Worthwhile? Its a matter of personal preference. They seem overpriced to me (like everything else).

lewmar winches

I was going to buy Andersen winches, but at the Atlantic City boat show, I was told that they are not as well made or as dependable as the Lewmar 14's . By the way, the dealer didn't have Andersen's and I was looking at really nice self-tailing Lewmars, at a show discount.

$700 for the pair. $750 with the special Lewmar winch handle. How could I resist?

What is a dollar worth? The way I figure it, the two winches cost about $75 in 1963's money.

Fair enough.

+ Reply to Thread