+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tiller Discussions

Hybrid View

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Tiller Discussions

I seem to remember there was a thread here about getting a new tiller which seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, the Manual calls for a tiller 1 3/8 inches wide. I measured my bracket and it is only 1 1/4 inches wide. H & L Marine is going to make me one that size.

My last tiller was a bit too wide and I had to sand it down to get it in there. This season I tried to pry it out of the bracket to refinish it and ended up putting a split in it.

The tiller before that I broke while sailing on a very windy day. Sheered off right at the nub. I learned it is possible to steer with a big screwdriver jammed in there.

Now I'll have a spare tiller for emergencies at least.

Cost of new tiller: $ 39.00 unfinished, $ 52.00 varnished. I seem to get 8-10 years out of a tiller, maybe I'm too hard on them

Tiller

I bought this tiller off the shelf at West Marine,I like it alot better that the original one
    Attached Images  

Tillers

I see no one still has any comments on tillers,I found the original tiller to be way to small and it was too low ,a real knee banger,when it broke it was a blessing.There are 61 registered people on this web site and who knows how many guest that dont register ,surely more than 10 or so people have an opinion about their Ariels and Commanders.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-15-2002 at 10:29 AM.

The manual has a design for a tiller that curves up very nicely to miss the knees Just photo copy it and send to H&L.

We also replaced a tiller or two on Pathfinder. We use a tiller that was from West Marine. I think it is listed as a J-24 tiller. It sits a little higher and a bit longer than the original. Does require a bit of shaping on the end to fit into the head.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Here is my new tiller on the left. The old one is on the right. The upward curve on the new tiller should clear the knees. Also, you wont tend to lift the tiller while steering, which puts stress on the bracket.
    Attached Images  

tiller

I was just thinking the other day while I tried to survive the near gale force winds that we had here in the Bay area last weekend, that perhaps I should replace the tiller. Mine held through the heavy gusts, but would not have been fun if it snapped! It's age is unknown and I was was doing some major pulling! Thinking on some of the comments I do tend to lift mine as well. I will check out West Marine.
    Last edited by French; 04-17-2002 at 12:25 PM.
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

The manual has plans for a tiller in the shape of the one in the last photo above. Goes over the knees while seated and will stay down when using the tiller while standing. H&L (who make just about all the tillers you see in the chandleries - ie., marine hardware stores like West) can make it for you.

tiller in manual

I looked for that last night and could not find it. What page is it on??

Originally posted by Bill
    The manual has plans for a tiller in the shape of the one in the last photo above. Goes over the knees while seated and will stay down when using the tiller while standing. H&L (who make just about all the tillers you see in the chandleries - ie., marine hardware stores like West) can make it for you.
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

Check the appendix's drawing index. The drawings are in alpha order and are at the very end of the manual. (I'd give you a page #, but there is not a copy of the manual here at work.)

Broken Tiller

Ok, this shouldn't be too difficult, but I need help getting started. Just bought Fair Wind, Commander Hull #301. Was bringing her to her new home under power (thank God) in light conditions -- following seas and light following winds (really really Thank God). Single-handing, just to make it interesting. Well, long story short, the tiller just came off in my hand -- it had delamination near the tiller head fitting, and was rotten inside. So it just came right off, right at the fitting.

I am pleased and fortunate to report that in the conditions I've described, it is possible, although a bit awkward, to steer a Commander by using the tiller head fitting as, well, a tiller. And I was able to sort of jam bits of the rotten tiller into the head fitting and occasionally get some purchase, but not reliably so. Made it home without injury to self or to Fair Wind.

So now to the question: thoughts and suggestions on the replacement tiller? I am not clever enough to manufacture one myself, and if I could buy one somewhere, I would. In fact: two. A spare would, I think, be a good thing!!

Any help appreciated.

Dave Bruce
    Fair Wind

Here's a thread on replacement tillers. I think it took about 4-6 weeks for them to send me a custom tiller.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...s=&threadid=69

The ones they sell at West Marine may need a little modification.

Getting one from H&L would probably be easiest and cheapest. The drawings for the custom tiller that came with my manual were a bit confusing- a big black X and comments like wrong curve do not use, revisions to follow- so, not knowing about H&L, I took some measurements and built a jig and made my own out of epoxied strips of mahogany and ash. It has enough curve to clear my kneecaps and thighs when I'm seated but is low enough that I can straddle it standing without having to worry about risking serious injury or singing soprano. It also rests at a very comfortable height for steering for extended periods and is substantial. Will take a pic and send it if desired. I still have the jig around somewhere so if for some reason H&L doesn't work out let me know and I can either make another or show you how. It's not that hard.

Tom
    Furthur #332

Another thought. Regardless of where and how you end up getting a new tiller one thing I've found that is very worth doing when you mount it to the tiller head is to drill your holes, then remove the tiller, and redrill the holes so they are a little oversized and fill them with epoxy/fillers, let them cure then redrill to fit the tiller head bolts. This creates an epoxy sleeve around the bolts that is waterproof so you keep moisture out of the wood and avoid finding yourself with an unattached, rotten ended tiller in the future.

Tom

Tom & Pete

Thanks very much. I will keep you posted on how this turns out. Fyi, Commanderpete, I did look for old threads on this subject and didn't come up with the one you forwarded, meaning only that I haven't figured out how to work this thing properly yet.

And I am definitely going to go for a tiller and a spare.
    dave
    Fair Wind

+ Reply to Thread