+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Mast Issues & Renovation

I wanna believe what Bill stated above. That is the intent with which I purchased all of 113's clutches.

I do remember seeing a video segment on reefing the main where the halyards left the mast through exit blocks, then ran through clutches, went around a mast mounted winch and then to a cleat. the process advocated by them was: to lower the main halyard to a predetermined mark, then lock the clutch, set the new tack, take a few turns around the winch, open the clutch, snug up the halyard, cleat off the halyard, and close the clutch again. They said it was better to transfer the load to the cleat because clutches cause undo wear on lines. You very well may have found another hanks vs. furler, Kyle! So far all of my experience has been with winches and cleats. The only rope clutch action I've taken part in is when I take them out of their shipping box, flip the lever back and forth a few times, daydream a bit, then box them up and put them back on the shelf.
    Last edited by Tony G; 11-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    My home has a keel.

Thanks Tony. Well put.
    My father in law has a sweet '66 corvette convertible. It has a crummy radio in it, but to its credit, the antenna still raises and lowers with a switch and I can tune in to a local radio station when I find a good reason to take it for a ride. I could put a 2014 head / amp / speakers in it, but it seems to betray the sensibilities of a lovely 1966 vehicle.
    My finger was hovering, ready to click on a couple well-priced rope clutches today and I bailed... for similar reasons.
    I'll use the mast plate / deck organizers because the cheek blocks cast my halyards off the mast awkwardly.
    My hank-on sails offer choices based on conditions - haven't opted for a furler.
    I'm 1964 vintage myself and - even if there are obvious advantages - too many modern day mods to me wouldn't look right either!

had one for 30m years. they are great.

My mast looks ok for this sailing season. Cleats hold well and are tight.

Couple of questions:
    1. I need a topping lift line. What size line and what kind should I buy?
    2. Tuning the stays--Besides measuring from the spreader to the chain plate, how do i know when they are tight enough?
    3. I think I am supposed to loosen the fwd and aft stays at the stern. Again how tight should the bow and stern stays be? Also in relation to the port and stbrd stays?

Ebb for more finesse, use a finer blade!!! lol

+ Reply to Thread