Thread: Exterior Wood Finishes

Threaded View

no wonder price of lumber went up!

Mike, thanks so much. I am even more humbled. And without words. You must feel very proud. Are you still involved with the project--rigging, fitting out? To think that a guy with your experience is an Ariel sailor, well, here's to you! Says a lot for our little yacht!

I took some photos of my coamings, and my custom covers before going for an awesome sail this morning. It had to be the most perfect outing yet. About 70 degrees, 15 knots, a few gusts to 20 to keep me awake, and just beautiful. I was trying to see if i could tell any difference in performance with the Nissan 5 hp 2 stroke long shaft. Admiral's idea. (And it will be good for locking through the dams.) Other than that, don't see much need for it. Anyway, i don't have a speedo, so couldn't tell much difference actually. If anything, she seems more stable on a downwind run. Didn't hobby horse around like usual. And that could have been my imigination, or different conditions too. She still seems to sail great with it in the water, so maybe she'll forgive me for opening up the well. Hope so. She sure sails great.
    So what's this thread? lol Kinda wandering all over the place here. Sorry all.
    Anyway, here's a few pictures of the coamings, and my little puney stern. Puney and pretty! Even with the outboard. ugh

Oh yeah, the exterior wood. I can't decide what to do with the bolt heads. I think i'll just leave em exposed. They're only counter sunk about 1/8". Didn't measure the coaming thickness, i'm guessing 5/8 to 3/4. Now i got all the rest to do! I like sailing better than varnishing though, so might get done, might not! Working on a sound system now, i gotta have some tunes out there, especially when i'm all alone!

Thanks again for the link and pics. That is so awesome! IF i ever get back that way....
    Attached Images          
    wet willieave maria