Theis, Yes I do have a cunningham. The boom is fixed. You are also correct to assume that the luff line passes through the kringle. The line is made fast on the mast (near the boom) travels up through the kringle and then down to a block at the base of the mast. From there it is lead to the cockpit.

The leech line is attached to a cheek block on the aft end of the boom, the line is attached to the block passes under the boom and then up to the leech kringle, back down to the block and then forward to the mast, travels down to the base and then aft to the cockpit.

One or both of the lines could terminate at the mast. My issue for leading them to the cockpit is for safety. We do have a main that has a second set of reef points that we use for open water cruising and distance deliveries. If I put in the first reef I will often set up the sail for the second reef using the cunningham and outhaul. By just disconnecting these two lines and running them through the second set of kringles we are ready if needed. This does require me to go to the mast but the cunnigham is terminated with a hook so it is a quick trip to just unhook and then reattach.

As far as lines lead to the cockpit, I guess the easy answer is everything. Three halyards, two reef lines (starboard), cunningham and outhaul (port), vang, topping lift, and foreguy ( mounted to a bridge over the hatch). I suppose if I had to I could run more lines to the cockpit but for now we are pretty happy with the way she is rigged. I forgot we also have a set of spinnaker twinger lines that enter the cockpit at the forward section of the combing.

Do we feel like a windjammer clipper ship? Not at all. The only line that we have that seems to find a way of fouling is the main sheet. I tend to think that problem just goes with owning an Ariel with the main sheet hanging down around the rudder post (gig)

If we are racing, the loose lines are tossed into the cabin. We we cruise everything is cleaned up and coiled and hung in a proper way to allow freedom of movement.......ed