+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hull I.D. # possibly FOUND! and down the ICW.

Hull I.D. # possibly FOUND! and down the ICW.

Well I'm back after being away from this board for 5 or 6 months. As some of you may remember, I left Buffalo and joined my Ariel in Edgewater, MD. I spent August, September, and October getting "Althea" ready to take south (I was also working on other boats at the time to make some cash). In early November my wife and I left Maryland and spent just over a month getting to our current location, Cocoa, Florida. Now that I have over a thousand miles of sailing and motoring Althea, I have a very different perspective than I had before leaving.

Also...I believe I have finally discovered the long-forgotten Hull ID Number that I was looking for. When I was installing the strongback reinforcement plates that I bought from Tony G (thanks again!), I removed the laminate over the doorway into the V-berth. Under the laminate was written two times the number "387." I took several photos of the number; my wife thought I was nuts! Since my Ariel is a 1966 model, I think this number would be accurate. So... Bill, please check the registry for Hull# 387 - that may be my place.

I have tons of pictures of all the modifications I am in the process of finishing. I basically have rebuilt everything from the companionway steps around to the port side galley, creating more usable galley space and storage space under the steps and cockpit sole. It is still definitely a work in progress...we had to get out of Maryland - as the weather was starting to get cold. I also have a lot of information to share about what I've learned so far ... but that will have to wait until I have more time on a computer (rather than using one of these library computers for such a limited time).

I hope the holidays find you all well and in good spirits.

Richard (no longer living in Buffalo...)
    Last edited by Richard; 12-10-2003 at 07:30 AM.

Richard,

I look forward to seeing how you've added more galley space and how you've equiped it. But I am especially interested in your adventure down the ICW. What were you're experiences around Jacksonville?

TP

Richard,
    I'm very happy that you finally found a clue to your hull number! I'll bet you are correct on the "387" since she is a 1966; my hull number is "391" and also a 1966!
    I know what your'e saying about Buffalo: I'm beginning to think the same thing about Illinois!
    Hope you have great holidays there where it's warmer!
    Jim

TP -
    I did not stop in Jacksonville- that's a side trip up the St. Johns River. I just kept on going south into the Amelia River and right on down the ICW.
    As far as the galley is concerned, I basically sacrificed the port sleeping settee in favor of more counter space and deep storage. I installed two short bulkheads to bring the counter around. I have left a single seat at the forward end of the previous settee. I plan to install a two-burner stove-recessed into the counter top with a wooden cover. When the cooktop is in use, the cover will be removed and placed on cleats over the single seat, thus no counterspace will be lost during meal preparation. I've also boxed in a area in the aft port corner of the counter (on the portside of the sink) for a well insulated ice box. The current "ice box" will be removed and become a Nav area. The new ice box is not yet insulated and is currently used for dry food storage. Some other changes that I'll share with you all in photos are somewhat temporary - they allowed us to pack the boat and leave the cold weather. We still have plans to complete these areas or modify further.
    As some may remember, I removed the old diesel engine in favor for an outboard engine (a new Suzuki 6hp, 4-stroke, long shaft which I am very happy with). I rebuilt the companionway steps, making them slightly wider and easier to ascend without stepping on the sink. I moved the sink over to port a few inches. My batteries (2 Trojan T-105's) are secured to a new battery shelf under the sink. I've glassed in some floorboards over the deep part of the bilge as far aft as the rudder tube (the forward floor board has a removable hatch that makes bilge access quite easy). I now have complete & accessable storage all the way under the cockpit sole just by removing the two step units. I also built in a trash receptacle in the upper step unit.
    It's all been quite a process and, as indicated, is still not complete. My wife & I have been living onboard since the beginning of August and it's rarely easy but its much more manageable than before.

Jim-
    Yeah, I felt confident that the number was well within range. I don't have my Ariel registry with me so I'm not able to go through and see if anyone else has hull# 387 registered.

Thanks to both for your replies.
    ~Richard

Bravo to the both of you.
    This is exactly the kind of story I need to hear to keep me motivated. Best holiday wishes to you and your's from frozen Minnesota and you can bet I'll be waiting for thoses pics. Tony G

Bill...Are you there???

Just wondering if you can confirm whether another person has registered hull #387 with the Association???
    "Althea"
    Ariel #387

Richard,

No. You are the first to report 397. Looking forward to getting your registration.

+ Reply to Thread