Thread: Galley Cooktop Choices?

Threaded View

seacook stove nixed

Force 10 does NOT make an 8" single burner gimballed stove any more. Maybe the existing design once did hold an 8" (maybe it can be altered,) but the inside grate over the burner has an integral wire rose loop-de-loop that is adjusted to hold a smaller 7 inch pot.

It is probably one of the stupidest improvements imaginable - now the common 8" pressure cooker which you normally would use with this stove in rough water can't be safely held in, because there is a whole bunch of twisted wire OVER THE BURNER.

The gimballed part which is a s.s. shell is wide enough to hold the pressure cooker. You might imagine I sent off an incensed email to Force 10 telling them how they could attach pot holders to the shell - where they would be away from the burner and therefor wouldn't get burning hot and were therefor more user friendly. I also told them there was another way with the wire rose pot holder gismo that could be fit over the top of the shell if they wanted to. Boy, did I tell them!

Forespar, I believe, make an 8" seaswing, but it is 7" DEEP. I don't know if there is a slot for the p. cooker handle. If there isn't, then their stove is equally stupid. (But could more easily be altered.) I'm going to wait til I see one.

I figure that if these people can't do a simple cooker right, how can one trust them on anything else they market. One can spend a 1000 to $2000 for a multiburner stove with a grill or oven. Then you have to fork out for the propane installation and the bloody locker with the valves and solenod and tubes and bubba tanks.

The seacook looked to me like a great alternative to all the bs and the space the expensive stuff takes. I was thinking it would be cool to mount maybe two single stoves in the lined two burner gamballed stove space and be totally upscale and versatile. For $200.

Ha! Force 10 knows this too. Suppose other cheaters like me took the cheaper way out. They wouldn't be able to sell as many grossly overpriced doodahs. What's our profit margin on a $99 retail product anyway? Hell, let's make it unusable and then we'll disappear it from the market.

I sent it back - we'll see how easy it is to get a refund from sailnet.com
    I got free shipping coming, cost $22 plus the grief to send it back. And sailnet.com is STILL advertising the Force 10 as an eight incher! None of these corporations really seems to care about the consumer.

NOPE, there will not be Force 10 anything in 338
    Last edited by ebb; 12-23-2003 at 05:51 PM.