Thread: keel voids

Threaded View

Thanks all

mbd

The link to Tim M's thread was helpful. I believe the foam in my keel is the same as he had in his but my has been glassed over the top.

bill@ariel231

You have given me some specific things to look for and I will check each one to stop water from coming into the keel.

Commander 227

In this case the water is doing damage. It is causing blisters and the current batch are not the first time. See the attached picture showing where I have started sanding through the bottom paint and barrier coat to see the evidence of a prior attempt to repair the blisters.

ebb

I'm totally on board with what you suggest. I need to get the foam out of the hull and get things dried out so I can stop the blistering and keep this hull from getting any worse.

A question for everybody

Someone else suggested that after I get the old waterlogged foam out of the hull, get it dried and sealed from leaking that I pour in closed cell 2-part polyureathane foam that will not absorb water, will add buoyancy, will fill the cavity so next to no water can reside there. The link is below. I'm torn on this part and would like your opinions. I'm leaning towards not putting anything back in there. Then I can see if any water is getting in or not and not have to guess.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=7896
    Attached Images