+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Story

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

My Story

When I was a boy, my father bought a 1965 Pearson Commander. The boat was a good choice for our large family. All eight children could fit inside her huge cockpit. She was also a safe and stable craft. This was important, since not one of us had ever set foot on a sailboat before.

Obviously, we would need some Divine help out there on the water. My father called her Providence, seeking God’s grace and protection.

My older brother, Stephen, took to sailing right away. He taught himself seamanship and piloting. Before long he was single-handing on long passages into the Atlantic.

Somehow Providence became Stephen’s boat. He nursed and cared for her. As the oldest son, it seemed as if there was nothing Stephen couldn't do or fix when he put his mind to it.

Providence was our beloved family boat. She endured our clumsy misadventures. She always brought us home.

The years went by. All the kids grew up and moved away. When we came to visit, Providence was there for us. She gave us many years of joy.

Then came the time when Stephen got sick. It was a particularly virulent and inoperable brain tumor. Stephen fought a long and noble struggle with dignity and determination. He died, age 34, leaving a lovely wife and a little boy.

Providence sat mostly idle for years, receiving little use and less attention. The neglect took its toll. She also grew sick.

I moved back near home, and somehow Providence became my boat. Slowly I caught the sailing bug. By then, the boat was in tough shape. The deck was mushy, the mast was cracked, sails shot, engine balky-–the list went on and on. She needed a total restoration, but I didn’t know anything about boat repair. I had neither the time nor the skills to make her right. Providence would have to go.

For two years I tried to sell her. I would have given her away for a pittance. There were no takers. I could barely stand to show her. I felt ashamed of her state. I had let her down.

She never let me down. I started sailing Providence every chance I could. A line might snap or block explode, but she held together. She soldiered on.

I drove her hard in any weather. The wind would howl and I would howl right back. I was reckless. I was exorcizing my demons.

In the meantime, I shopped for my new boat. I thought I should have something bigger, more modern. I prowled the boatyards, searched the classifieds, crawled around dozens of boats. It soon became clear that every boat has its qualities and foibles, each one a compromise. You just have to go with the boat that feels right.

Where was the boat that would capture me, that would speak to me? None of them ever did. The newer boats had no elegance, they held no charm. They lacked grace.

I finally gave up trying to sell Providence and decided to donate her as a tax write-off. Eventually a company agreed to take her. The papers were signed and she was no longer mine. Perhaps they would find her a good home.

Now I couldn’t put off buying a new boat any longer. It was time to settle on that 30 footer I had been looking at. There was no perfect boat for me.

Then I saw an ad for a "beloved family boat." She was another 1965 Pearson Commander. The boat was located up in Rhode Island, but I had been planning a trip to visit my sister in Massachusetts. I decided to stop by for a look, mostly out of curiosity. It was probably just another project boat.

I spotted her in the boatyard right away. She had been beautifully maintained over the years and sported new sails, furler, winches, etc. This boat had been cherished.

The owner came down, a pleasant young doctor. Their family had owned the boat for decades. We climbed aboard and got to talking. It turned out that he occasionally worked with my sister at a hospital in Providence. I just chalked it up to coincidence. Then things began to get spooky.

While Providence was hull # 199, this boat was hull # 200 -- the next boat off the line. They had been built, side by side, all those years before. They were twin sisters.

I knew right then she would be mine. The deal was struck and I brought her home and started lavishing attention on her.

Although I had donated Providence months before, the company had been unable to sell her. They agreed to give her back to me. I mournfully stripped her for parts and had her buried. I’ll always feel guilty.

One by one, parts of Providence are making their way onto my new boat. The two boats are becoming one.

Her name is Grace. She feels like an old friend. She has that same familiar, easy motion. She keeps me safe. She comforts me.

I’ve been teaching Stephen's boy to sail. Already he steers with a steady hand on the tiller, just like his Dad, quiet and confident.

I hope to teach him the simple lessons I've learned about sailing, as his father would have done.

As for life's lessons, I’m not sure what I can teach him. Except that perhaps some things are meant to be, and if life ever gives you a second chance at happiness, don't let it pass you by.
    Last edited by commanderpete; 10-09-2003 at 02:06 PM.

What a Treat!

That's a wonderful touching story! You outta give it to Good Ole Boat, to share it with the rest of us? Misty Eyed Ebb

Pete, that is indeed a wonderful story. Truly, thank you for sharing that personal part of your life with us.

Best,
    Dave

I've just gotten the sailing bug and check new posts before going to sleep. what a great thanksgiving story. Thanks for a wonderful story to start the holidays.

That is a great story - well told. Thank you for sharing it with. A good boat does become part of the family.

Stories

I can identify with that story. Mine started at 11 years when had to pass a 300 yard swimming test inorder to take sailing lessons
    at a local lake. I didn't pass. The following year my parents built a house in Cape Cod. Sailing lessons became available to me and I jumped at them. I went out with two friends of mine on a sunfish.
    We capsized and bent a spar in the process. This was only the
    first time out for me sailing period. The life jackets were like sand bags. I learned in about two months to sail and my father bought
    a sunfish. I waited all day for the boat to be delivered AMF didn't
    connect up the bailors. We also had to connect up mast sail etc.
    I was the oldest and I think my siblings felt I dominated the boat.
    I remember teaching my brother to sail on that boat. He wanted
    to solo after while I said no problem. I felt he was old enough
    he might have been 11, I was six years older. So helped him
    get the boat into the water. I stayed on the beach with binoculars
    and had warned the club we were at to keep an eye on him. It was his first time alone. He capsized really quick and brought the
    boat back in. I think he was shaken by it. I took some more lessons and by time I was sixteen I had sailed on twenty-five footers. I always liked the wood boats but felt fiberglass was more practical. I liked the design of the old woodboats because they had character. My company had been acquired by a bigger company I wanted something to get my mind off it. So I started
    looking at boats. I had looked at several boats and I saw an ad
    for an Pearson Ariel 1962. I was worried because of it's age.
    I was looking at a Newport by Capital Boats. They sold it off.
    I had been waiting for the price to drop off. Poof gone. I looked at that ad for a Pearson for a second time and bought that book
    for boats between 18 to 29 feet and looked at the design. I thought this is'nt bad it sleeps four. It has a galley a head. This is not so bad. My sister said Pearson's a good name. I really don't think she figured I'd buy the boat. I called up the boat was available and there was a price change from I said okay what was the price, the fellow said 1k it's in a boatyard in Rhode Island. I went down looked at, it was a disaster. However I could see through that part which was a disaster visualizing everything in A-one condition. That started to happen when the hull was compounded out and the oxidation was gone and it was
    faired with new black anti fouling paint with the gray top she started to come back to life. I want to thank all of you who have
    been where I have been and have so graciously offered assistance and advice. Thank you

Captain John

Bump

I ran across this thread whilst "searching". There are so many worthwhile threads on this forum, and some certainly warrant revisiting...
    Last edited by mbd; 08-10-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread