+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Rudder Shaft

Broken Rudder Post

I experienced the infamous broken rudder post syndrome in San Francisco bay...anyone know who can repair this problem in the bay area? Or; can I fix it myself?

Are you speaking of the post in the cockpit through which the rudder shaft passes - or do you mean the rudder shaft itself?

rudder post

Hi Bill, I spoke with Joe Antos and Ed Ekers about what happened to CATWALK, #256 (formerly Lickety Split)
    I was sailing last monday on a beam reach near Alcatraz, on my way to Pier 39.
    Everything was fine, docked the boat o.k. but about an hour after being at the dock, I tried to sail off and discovered that my tiller was swinging loosely and had no steerage. The rudder doesn't respond at all. Joe and Ed confirmed the symptoms that it is most likely a shaft breakage at the waterline....
    I'm going to have it hauled out soon to see what 's the problem. If it is a shaft (post) breakage, I'm wondering if there is someone at Svendson's who has repaiared this problem before.
    Do you know of anyone who has experience fixing this problem?
    Thanks!

Ed is one skipper who has had the experience of removing and replacing a broken rudder shaft. I would assume the yard people can do the job, but maybe you could get Ed to act as an advisor. Getting the old shaft off and on the rudder is very time intensive. The manual at page 170 has a drawing and specs for the shaft and a description of the R&R process at page 45.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Scott,

Stories of total rudder failure are always accompanied by actual or near disaster, pandemonium, jury rigs, rescue, or similar spicy details.

Must be a very well-mannered boat.

+ Reply to Thread