+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RUDDER SHOE DISCUSSIONS

Hybrid View

rudder shoe update

My mold maker has finished the pattern he made to exact scale of the drawings and is taking it to the foundry for casting this week. It turns out he's a master craftsman and the pattern is almost a thing of beauty. (see pics) He has also indicated that he is now interested in keeping the pattern so he can get more castings made for anyone who wants one. Will know total price in a few days. Anyone interested, let me know. He might also be persuaded to make molds for just about any other bronze part that drawings exist for.
    Attached Images  

another pic
    Attached Images  

WoW!

Hoover and I are nearly ready to go on castings, too...but I have to say that that is a wonderful plug.

The patternmaker's is a near- lost art anymore, and that's a shame. Look at any cast-metal part from days of old (like the underside of the table on your Delta Unisaw or similar) and think...someone carved that out of incredibly hi-grade honduras mahogany once.

I had a fellow worked in my instrument shop who had worked in patterns at Boeing in the early '60's...and he was a consummate craftsman. These guys are true treasures, true artisans, and a (unfortunately but truly) dying breed. Soak up everything you can from a guy like this, needless to say! Wow.

Nice pattern plug! Please pass my compliments to the patternmaker if the chance arises if you would.

Best,
    Dave

tcoolidge,
    I had discussed the shoe casting with Bill Hoover in the past. Your pics. and the plug are really great.
    I do wish to express interest in also having one cast for us! I as you would like to have an idea of cost when you find out. The timing is perfect since I'm presently doing the rudder which I'll install this fall following this sailing season.
    Thanks so much for you guys leg work!
    Jim

Will see if he can get two cast when I next talk to him. He might be planning on doing that anyhow. I'll keep you, and anyone else who is interested posted.

Tom

Tom,

Please keep me posted on the cost of the casting. I may be interested in purchasing one. I do not appear to be in immediate need, but it would be a shame not to add to my collection of useful bronze goodies for the underbelly of my forty year old friend, Augustine.
    Scott

Got a message the shoe was cast today but he didn't say how much the foundry cost. Will pick it up Monday and know then and will post it as soon as I know.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread