+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RUDDER SHOE DISCUSSIONS

Hybrid View

Rudder shoe mold

Howsitgoin Ed,
    When mine came off it was because it was pretty eaten up
    - somehow - by reacting with the stainless or monel alloy shaft that was used for the fiberglass DFO rudder on A338.
    Or maybe because it wasn't silicon bronze.
    The fitting had extra bolts drilled thru the sides and the remains of zinc wires under the nuts.
    The fiberglass heel inside was a crumbly mess, requiring a serious rebuild.

One of the thinner sides of the shoe was bent from being bolted rather than pinned to the boat, and if I remember the heel of the shoe was pitted & corroded.

Used Bondo to build up the sides. Sides are spec 5/16" along the top. But the body is more rounded fair, I guess, since my original was in bad shape.
    Then I took it to Richmond and had California Casting make one in S.B. using it as the mold.

Just found & took a look at it. Still has silvery mold release on it from the time it was used to make the sand mold.
    Looks smooth, edges sharp.. Did not change the interior shape or dimension. Inside looks original.

The 3/4" hole for the rudder shaft has to be drilled in the flat at a precise center.
    Manual pg 171 has a drawing of an "Alberg-Ariel-Vanguard-Coaster Rudder Shoe." Mold is very close to those lines.
    Flat in drawing is stated to be 35degrees from the line of the top of the shoe - for the Ariel.
    Drawing measure across the widest part of angled flat that ithe hole for the rudder shaft is drilled in ....sez 2 1//6".
    My mold with unaltered sides (except for fattening lower sides and 'sole' of the Shoe, measures 2 3/16" across the "machined flat".
    Don't believe machining is necessary to get the angle correct, a file can get the flat shiney.
    Mold is slightly longer than Manual at 11.5" and slightly wider at 3.25". Allowing for shrinkage, should cast pretty much like original.
    Sides have to be drilled for copper pins as well, but that is a good thing because you can put them where you want 'em.

Think I had the piece cleaned up at the shop after casting but not buffed, which made it less expensive.
    Remember thinking it was very reasonable, and cleanly cast.

The "mold" is as heavy as the real thing, 6lbs, since the real thing is inside.

Use it of course.
    You might want to see it first.
    I'm in SantaCruz usually around some holiday, can bring it down.
    UPS?
    Last edited by ebb; 04-05-2013 at 01:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread