Did anyone have any comments on the 25" long shaft? I assumed that it was better, because that's what came with my boat. What would be the advantage of the 20" lower unit over the 25"? It just seems that if the prop is a little deeper it would cavitate less and would be able to provide more push in really adverse conditions.

I could see that the 20" would be lighter and easier to move into and out of the well, but ... If you were planning to really cruise this boat, not just daysail, wouldn't it be better to have the added power when you absolutely have to have it?

I have a friend who owns hull #1 which originally came with an inboard engine of some kind (atomic 4?) ... anyway, it was ruined when he bought the boat (the boat itself was nearly ruined) and now he's put in a 16 hp Yanmar diesel. I'd rather have a diesel no doubt. I know that the outboard in the well is a compromise situation no matter what, but as long as I am going to replace the outboard, I want to get as much potential out of it as I can.