+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander # 216 "Northern Dancer"

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Commander # 216 "Northern Dancer"

I've seen this boat for sale in Wisconsin for a few years now. Its been sitting because the price was $15,000, then $8,500 and now $6000.

The boat was certainly well cared for at one time. It has a couple of features not seen too often.

Two sets of cockpit winches

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The squared off bottom to the companionway

Somebody built drawers for the V-berth shelves

Maybe they would have better luck selling the boat if they didn't list her as a "Motor Sailor"

I find that offensive.

Here is the link

http://boat-world.com/boatads/4384.html

These guys know what a sailboat is - look at their listings. Gee, if the sailboat has a motor it's a motor sailer, ok? What's so hard about that?

Commander # 216 "Northern Dancer"

I owned this boat from 1979 to 1986. Originally robin egg blue, I painted her green and the subsequent owner had her awlgripped white. I sailed her all over Lake Michigan and to the North Channel in Lake Huron. A great sailing boat! I sold her to buy a Pearson Vanguard. Pictures of Northern Dancer, then Skylark, can be seen on www.pearsonvanguard.org on the Commander page. The doors on the shelver were there when I bought her, a nice addition. I had new interior cushions made and did a number of cosmetic upgrades before selling her. The companionway extends almost to the bottom of the cockpit, a feature changed right after these 1965 models, to better accomodate offshore sailing conditions. This is not as seaworthy a design, but can be hadled in nasty conditions by leaving slats in place.

I'm on a bicycle trip in Door County on Lake Michigan. Took a ferry out to ride around Washngton Island, we stopped at a little marina to have a beer at the Sailor's Pub and found Northern Dancer. She looks trim and shipshape. Sadly the Pub was not open.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread