+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nissan 9.8hp BEP2 Remote Control

Nissan 9.8hp BEP2

Egad, I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I did say I would report on the installation of this motor into my Ariel this spring. Being the same outside as the 8hp, it fit perfectly into the hull.
    As for the remote control, I mounted it in the removable bright mahogany panel in the after bulkhead just over the tiller shaft. So it sits athwartships just under the nameplate and the cables zip into the starboard locker, through the after bulkhead, circle the lazarette under the deck and hook up to the motor(thirteen feet). The Nissan is a generous and sturdy remote, but it fits and works perfectly there and is out of harms way.
    Wiring up was a breeze and for the main power cables to the battery under the companionway, I spliced in a nice "tangleproof" twin type jumper cable with the ends cut off and modified. The idle exhaust port was fitted with a copper tube fitting which connects to a transom through hull.
    Top speed is equal to or better that the 15hp Evinrude it replaced, and it is much lighter and quieter. Probably the 8hp would be satisfactory in most cases.
    Overall, a great and happy repower.
    ()-9

Dan,
    You are correct, the Nissan's are really great engines. Four years ago I too bought a Niisan 9.8 for my Ariel which replaced a 9.9 Merc. It was quite a learning experience, leaving Merc. and going to Nissan, and a pleasant one I might add. I did find the 9.8 just a bit tight in my hull 391 ob well. The 9.8 Nissan is the same exact power head as the 15 Nissan and a minor modification easily turns it into a true 15 H.P. My dealer was very happy to work with me and I did go down in size to the 8 H.P. which we use to this day. It has never given a one bit of trouble. We get a new impeller every other fall, change the lower unit every fall and fog it with fogging oil till it stalls for the winter. It really does move our Ariel very well!
    Jim

remote control mounting

you must send pictures. i have a remote control and cannot find a good place to put it.

also, do you leave it in the well all the time, or take it out after a sail?

my merc 9.9 seems too heavy to not leave in almost all the time, and even when i do take it out, i get tangled in all the control cables and wiring.
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Remote controls

Capt. Mrg.,

Just as soon as it stops raining (!) here in Jersey I will pop out the ol' digital and post you some pix.

I used to remove the 15hp Merc after sailing( lots of Bar-ne-clees here in Jersey). But the new Nissan has too much schmugabooda (cables, wires, clips, brackets-you know) to permit such hauling. So over the winter I carefully applied the special primer/top coat aluminum lower unit anti fouling humbug paint and I'm keeping it wet and hoping for the best.

BTW, learning to back down without twisting the motor about yields some lively, colorful and pucker filled nautical moments.
    Be back soon,

Carry on..
    ()-9

Remote control mounting

Capt. mrg,

Here are the pix of my Nissan remote mounting on the trusty Adele M..
    ()-9

Ah, Dan? The pictures lack resolution . . .

Photo #1
    Attached Images  

sweet

Nice setup,... but the deck, that is really cool, always like the wood. First I've seen on an Ariel.
    To error is human
    To Sail is divine... Book of French

Cool Getting Organized

Addtional remote control photos to follow. Wood stuff will show up on the "Gallery."

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on, this is something new. Nobody ever mentioned teak decks before. In the words of the immortal Fred FLintstone,"who's baby is that, what's your angle, I'll buy that." Seriously though, looks nice-full spread please.

The next series of photos will trace the travel of the remote control wires.
    Attached Images  

Next:
    Attached Images  

Then to:
    Attached Images  

Finally ending:
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread