I installed a stanchionless lifeline system on my Ariel, hull #330, where no stanchions or lifelines previously existed. Again, no stanchions were used. Photos are available on my Ariel photo page:
http://www.solopublications.com/sailarip.htm

The first goal of the project was to design and install a safe and secure lifeline system that could be made of either coated wire or Dacron line. Dacron 3 strand braided 1/4 inch line was used for this installation.

The second goal was to provide a system that would be safe to use for support, and as an attachment point for a safety harness.

The third goal was to accomplish goals 1 and 2 without installing stanchions or drilling additional holes through the deck.

A set of existing pad eyes at the bow just aft of the mooring cleat and a new through-deck eye bolt at the forward edge of the boarding step were used as the terminals for the forward portions of the lifeline system. A superfluous section of the Genoa track was removed to permit the installation of a boarding step on each side. Two of the existing holes for mounting that section of track were utilized for the eye bolts. The two eye bolts are tied together below deck by a teak compression plate and a stainless steel backing plate.

The forward lifeline system also utilizes the pin rail, which is secured to the lower shrouds, and also a shackle at the turnbuckle on the upper shroud, which functions as the pivot point for the mast tabernacle. The lower forward lifeline section between the aft terminal (forward boarding step eye bolt) and the pivot point shackle also functions as a bridle to stabilize the aft lower shroud during the tabernacle operation.

The terminals for the aft section of the lifeline system are the eye bolts at the aft edge of the boarding step and two points on the
stern rail (push pit).

Turning blocks are used so that lifeline tension can be adjusted from the cockpit.