+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Winch Handles--Ariel #39

Thank you for the idea on loosening top of winch

I tried again today after applying plenty of 3 in 1, I far prefer to WD 40)

Thank you for the clue on how you opened the winch .... gorgeous day today on the chesapeake

Discovered the handle end will not fit into the slot in the large screw - though it looks like an original handle -

I will try a deck key ( like for diesel filler cap) next weekend ... hate to think of the job of drilling out the central hard bronze screw ...

anyway - in frustration cleaned and oiled the other winch and reassembled it ... can reopen and grease properly in 2 minutes ...

lo and behold, both winches work now - but correspondents are right - these #1 winches are way too small for the genoa ... I have sailed on old S&S's of the early sixties - and they had far bigger winches ...

and the base-fitting handles gouge against the mahogany coaming ..

thank you for the advice!!!

Brenda

Thumbs up

Forget WD-40 or 3in1 oil , get some PB Blaster . The WD in WD-40 means 'water displacement' that is what it was made for and what it is good at doing ( ever wonder what WD-39 was like? ) . Not really a good lube or freeing agent compared to the real thing like Blaster.
    Blaster will loosen muffler and manifold bolts , frozen turnbuckles . Just apply it a couple of times 10 minutes aparts , give it a light tap and turn . Very amazing stuff . All good auto parts stores carry it .

Brenda..I always liked those old style winchs where the handle slides into the base.Nastalgic I guess. ...Mike..I didn't know the 'WD' bit..thanks .Gotta try BLASTER out.I've got a 'rusted tight chuck' on one of my drills,so it'll be a good test.

Twinsburg, Ohio. Boat docked in Vermilion, Ohio

I don't have the boat anymore, but...

...what a great boat it was. I had trouble getting those big screws to stay IN the winches. I'm pretty sure the winch handle fit the slot, and could be used to tighten the screw. And if I wanted to disassemble corroded metal parts without a torch, I'd stat with blaster

Pair of South Coast winches on E-Bay, with handle

Title says South Coast 26's (!) but I doubt that is right. measurements listed in the add seem to be right about the same as ours.

Link to Southcoast winches on Ebay Item number: 250000294413

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Handles

I lost my #2 winch handle last week. I believe the winches and handles are original equipment--not chrome plated, but plain bronze. The handle had an ivory-colored plastic grip. Any recent news on possible replacements would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravey
    I lost my #2 winch handle last week. I believe the winches and handles are original equipment--not chrome plated, but plain bronze. The handle had an ivory-colored plastic grip. Any recent news on possible replacements would be appreciated.
    Local marine flea markets seem to always have several of the old winch handles. At least around here (SF Bay). There's a flea market coming up on Sept 9, put on by our yacht club. They do it again in April. Several other yc's also hold them throughout the year. Check your area for possibilities.

I have fully operative bronze South Coast #2 winches and winch handles. If that is what you are looking for, let me know.

Winch Handles

Theis,
    If you have a #2 winch handle for sale, I would be very interested in making a deal with with you.

I'm also looking for spares for #1 and #2 after two close shaves this season. Nautical flea markets in the Baltimore area have turned up nothing. I missed the auction on E-Bay. Bill, I'd be willing to compensate someone in the S. F. area if they really do show up there fairly often. Put me in touch with someone by private e-mail if you'd like.

skipperjer

If you strike out on the west coast, recommend you contact Sam @ wickford marine consigment 401-295-9709. When I was there last week I saw a whole pile of flat style winch handles. If you call with the dimensions & depth of the slot he may have a match...

http://www.marineconsignment.com/

cheers,
    bill@ariel231

South Coast 'one touch'

So, the time has finally come.

Faith has shed her winches......

I am getting ready to mount the Lewmar Ocean 16 self tailers that I bought last year.

I need some winch handles. I like the new Lewmar 'One Touch' handles that have a bar under the bottom that allow easy release from the winch.

I think the reason I like them so much is that thier 'new' idea is the same one that South Coast had over 40 years ago.

I have a problem. I want to see these go to another Ariel. Just the handles can sell on Ebay for almost as much as I paid for the replacement winches.

So, if anyone is interestred in a swap... a pair of the Lewmar handles above, for a pair of the South Coast winch handles pictured... please let me know.

Oh yea, and with the handles I can toss in a pair of South Coast winches, Winch mount blocks (need some work) and the original handle mount brackets in the picture below.

Please PM me if interested.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

.... or (of course) Commander...

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226

+ Reply to Thread