+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winch Handles--Ariel #39

Winch handles

After all this,my advise is don`t waste the money on winch handles for way under sized and out dated winches.Pluse anyone that has them wont sell them .Spend the money on proper sized and better winches.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 02-23-2002 at 07:42 PM.

Steve has a point. If you can afford it, new winches are the way to go. Standardized handles fit all!

Check out Defender Industries trade-in program for Lewmar. I purchased two 16st's for a very resonable cost -- and they didn't really want my old winches

Winch Handles

I just received a quote for the #1 winch handle to be specially cast for about $100, and for the #2 a little bit more than that. Certainly that price is a lot less expensive than a new winch, and also avoids the problem of installing a new winch.

At that price, could anybody get back to me if you are interested. I need to know what the real level of interest is at that price. Bill, could you put it on the tom tom in the next Ariel Newsletter to see how much interest there might be?

Peter

Winch handles

I would look at the long term,what are you going to do the next time the handle goes over the side,and dont think it wont happen.

Talking

I agree. And, you can get new handles that float!

I've had the memorable experience of having a floating handle go overboard and I know just what to do. You keep going. By the time it would take to drop sails and turn around, the winch handle is lost somewhere out in the deep blue only to "resurface" when it washes up on shore. A better alternative is a spare handle, in my opinion. Besides, I have better projects for this spring than replacing a winch on the mast - and as for long term, I am only looking ten to twenty years out, so the long term is not that relevant.

Peter

Winch handles

If you plan on having handles made you might want to go to the Trition web site and see if others might want some,if you got enough maybe the price would be lower.

Winch Handles For Sale

I have finally located the box with my spare winch handles. I have one each of #1 and #2. Since it will cost over $200 to have new ones cast, I'll sell the pair for $150, plus shipping. If that's an unfair price, let me know. I can be reached at ajlorman@aol.com.

Halyard winch

Here is my Harken#6 on the mast.
    Attached Images  

Winch handle on Ebay

Just saw the following on Ebay today:

Ken (Ariel #399)
    Tampa Bay, Fl

OLD STYLE SOUTH COAST WINCH HANDLE ~ USED
    Item # 1812489951

Sports:Sporting Goods:Boating & Water Sports:Other Items
    Sports:Sporting Goods:Boating & Water Sports:Boats, Watercraft:Sailboats

Currently $9.99 First bid $9.99
    Quantity 1 # of bids 0 bid history
    Time left 6 days, 15 hours +
    Location WhatsForLess.com
    Country USA
    Started Mar-12-02 10:10:38 PST mail this auction to a friend

Ends Mar-19-02 10:10:38 PST watch this item | you're watching 2 items

Seller (Rating) tolv (568)
    view comments in seller's Feedback Profile | view seller's other auctions | ask seller a question

High bid --

Payment See item description for payment methods accepted

Shipping Will ship to United States and the following regions:
    Canada See item description for shipping charges.

Seller Services Revise item

Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before bidding. Auction currency is U.S. dollars ( $ ) unless otherwise noted.

Description

SOUTH COAST WINCH HANDLE
    You need a spare!

This beautiful old style winch handle is hard to find, especially in this condition, as it's no longer manufactured. This one is in excellent condition, works perfectly and has an unbelievably good polish, showing little wear on the chrome over bronze, except on the shank. This may be your chance to get a great winch handle at a great price. Length is 14 1/2" overall, Shank is 1 3/4" wide. Teak handle.

:>

Red face Help in opening a #1 winch ???

I have almost succeeded in removing one bronze winch - have to drill out the 6 bronze screws in the base-plate - there seem to be rusted steel nuts on the bolts underneath - a pain!

The other winch ( the pair have #1 and trident symbol - Merriman? on top)

I cannot shift the flat screw - about 1 1/4 inches across - on the top of the winch to prise off the top plate, ease up the drum, and get at the bolts securing the winch through the fiberglass ....tried WD40, tapping with hammer and broad screwdriver - ( tried all directions, as those old winches went different ways on port, or on starboard )

I am replaing the winches with larger 2-speed Barlow ... I singlehand here on the Severn River near Annapolis ...and the original winches are simply too small for my need

Any ideas on how to open the top of the winch

and/or does anyone want these winches - plus the accompanying handle ???

Brenda

Question Who needs wench handles for Southcoast wenches?

How many wench handles of what type are needed?

I know a guy who is a great machinest, who could make some up (the originals are cast, so these would not be exactly the same but they would work).

Post if you would be interested (which ones, and how many).
    Price should be very reasonable.

THanks

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

I am trying to open top of winch

I am trying to open the top of the winch so I can disassemble and drill out the 6 bronze screws that hold the winch base on the fiberglass mount ...
    have found a tip on a Pearson resorer site that the end of the actual handle is designed to fit the open screw on top of the winch - makes sense! will try tomorrow ...

I have a handle to fit these winches ...

I am replacing these winches and handle - therefore they are available if someone is looking to restore with original brinze winches, for Ariel, Ensign - possibly also the electra ...

Brenda

Yes, the tip end of the winch handle is the "screwdriver" for twisting the large machine screw holding the durm to the base of the winch. Down pressure and a counter clockwise twist should remove it easily. A #1 handle should move the screw in a #2 winch, but obviously not the other way areou. Primaries on Ariel and Commander yachts were #2 South Coast or Merriman winches.

Using the handle as the "screwdriver" in the slot in the bolt holding the drum on, I had to use a wrench gripping the bar of the winch handle to break the bolt loose. Use of the handle to twist should not be recommended if it the bolt doesn't come easily because the handle can twist. Putting the wrench low, near the "blade" of the screwdriver handle, keeps the handle from twisting

+ Reply to Thread