+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winch Handles--Ariel #39

The local flea market guy here gets $50 for the #2. Not sure about the smaller #1 as they seem to be in very short supply and could be even more expenseive. Theis might know since he negotiated for a #1 with John Flower.

Twinsburg, Ohio. Boat docked in Vermilion, Ohio
    Theis,

Do you have a picutre of the #1 handle?

BTW... When I bid on the handle on Ebay I asked the seller if he knew what winch it was for. He said he didn't know, but that it fit a Merriman perfectly. I was certain from the dimensions and picture that this was my winch handle, but now I'm uncertain. Are the Southcoast and Merriman that similar? How about other winches of that vintage?

winch handle

I have a Xerox copy of various angles of the #1, but don't have a photo. Perhaps I should take one. I have not had luck converting the xerographic image to jpg., but then perhaps I should try again and use more patience and skill. I will do that, and if it doesn't, I can send you a set of images.

As to the difference between the South Coast and the Merriman, they are significant, but not obvious differences. The Merriman is a bit wider and thicker than the SC. It can be ground down and will fit the SC winch and looks perfect.

The problem is that the center slot of the Merriman, where the latch is, is alsao wider than the SC. Thus, when ground down, the Merriman is weakened, the two bars astride the latch are not strong enough. At least in my case, the bar, whene it goes through the slot, broke alongside the latch after a couple uses. This winter I had it welded, but have little confidence that welding will solve the problem.

Peter Theis

winch handles

This is what the # 1 winch handle looks like
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Theis; 02-21-2002 at 05:20 AM.

Lightbulb

The #1 handle has the same shape as the #2, only smaller. Peter, I don't recognize the handle in your photo.

That is most certainly NOT my winch handle. I think I found the smaller one, still looking for the larger handle.

This is the 9" handle I got on ebay. Still waiting for delivery. Lost the auction for the 11" handle.
    Attached Images  

Winch Handles

Gentlemen:

My apologies for that photo, nd the humongous size. I thought I had deleted it.. The scan is good, but my editor does some wonders of nature. I can resize the photo so it is appropriately sized, save as a jpg, and out comes this wall sized photo, a multiple of the actual size that was scanned.

I'll try again to perfect this art.

However, it does show the problem with the handle you purchased, which is the same problem I had (You may have purchased a Merriman handle.)

With the South Coast, the bar that goes inside the winch top is narrower than the handle itself. In all liklihood, you will have to grind down the bar so it will fit in the winch top. Once you do that, the bar is significantly enough weakened so that it will not support tightening up the jib halyard without breaking.

I will try to post a better picture - top view - showing what I am referencing.

Sorry again about the wall sized picture. I probably should not have admitted it was oversized, but simply said it takes two people to carry it forward and we really get the jib halyard tight using it.

Peter

winch handles

I have one of each available. If I can find them, I will measure them tonight to make sure that they match the sizes mentioned above, and then post them for sale.

winch handle

Interesting, and in light of Bill's comment, it makes me wonder what I do have.

In your picture, it appears the #1 has the same width bar that goes throught the winch top as the body of the handle itself. Mine is not that way. Perhaps I don't have an original issue after all.

Now I'll have to figure out a way to get the image on to this sit, from a top or bottom view, so I can hear a unaminous chorus asking "What is that?" (It does work though)

Peter

I believe you.

Question #1: did you replace your #1 jib winch with a locking winch, do you use a wire winch with a cleat, or just a cleat.

Question #2: So did I hear you say you would sell me that #1 winch handle that is just laying around on your bed?

Peter

I exchanged my South Coasts for Lewmars, for the sheets only. I still have the South coast for the jib halyard. What did you do for that? A wire drum with a cleat? a locking winch?

Did you replace the wood blocks under your winches? They don't show the cracks that I have. Or did you just fill the cracks in with something - like what?

Peter

Winches

I have a Harken #6 on the mast for the genoa halyard.sorrry no pictures. I did replace alot of the wooden mounting blocks about 9 years ago or so,not that big of a deal.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-02-2002 at 08:23 AM.

So...did anyone end up with a spare south coast #2 handle in all this? I'm still looking for one.

+ Reply to Thread