+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winch Handles--Ariel #39

Twinsburg, Ohio. Boat docked in Vermilion, Ohio

Winch Handles--Ariel #39

Huh

Thought I registered as Jerryo when the forum re-opened. Oh well. I'm still looking for winch handles for ariel #39. Bill and Al had some leads for me, but I lost them when the old forum went away. The new forum is great, btw.

I think a lot of us have been looking for winch handles for the
    #1 and #2 southcoast winches, largely without success.

Maybe we could get someone, like the successor to South Coast (I think that is Racelite) to mak up a batch of a half dozen or so or each.

Winch Handles

Are you volunteering to organize this?

Lightbulb

Hey guys, local nautical flea markets often have someone trying to sell those old winch handles. I've mentioned Flower in Alameda, CA. Gotta be more like him around other yachting locations.

I have been in touch with the company that has manufacturing rights and they are not interested in either making them to stock, or for order as ones and twos. I don't know what their required volume is, but don't believe it is much. i would be willing to contact them again, (or Bill, perhaps you would be more appropriate) and see if they would be interested, and how many would be involved to make it worth their while.

However, before we start, my thought is that we need some idea of how many would be interested in the #1 and #2 handles. That would be my suggested starting off point. Perhaps Bill could mention it in the Newsletter to test the water.

Bill's comment is good, but I have not been able to locate any #1 South Coast handles. Everyone I speak to tells me they are impossible to find, so there must be a demand outside of Ariel owners. I bought a #1 Merriman last year from John Flower, who was very helpful. It had to be ground down to fit, which John and I both knew, but that was the closest he could come. However, apparently the reduction in bar size so that it would fit was sufficient to weaken the handle so that the bar broke after a couple uses. Looking at the handle closer, it was, before the grinding, weaker in the bar than the South Coast handle. So now I have paid for a winch handle, paid a pretty piece to have it re welded, and when I return to the boat, don't think it will fit with the weld, nd even then don't kow if it will break again.

In summary, the concensus is that there should be a handle in a seconds place somewhere. We all agree on that proposition. My shopping has led me to conclude that somewhere is nowhere. Is there any way the South Cast handles could be located using the web? Bill, how often does this issue come up in a year?

Peter

I'm not sure what winches I have--I don't see any identifying marks on them. The main halyard winch is smaller than the 2 for the genoa, and I'm reasonably sure they're original. The handles were a locking bayonette style. I wouldn't mind buying a few extra--depending of course on price. I have had no luck searching the web, but I may not be looking in the right places and as I said, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I'd hate to replace the winches, but I suppose that's one possibility.

Measure the width of the opening through which the handle slides. About an inch and it's a #1. About two inches and it's a #2. Not sure beyond that.

Winch handle on E-bay

I was just on E-bay today 1-26-02 and found someone selling a winch hande that you might be interested in. Go to ebay web site, sports, boating and type "winch handle" in search and it will find. Below is the description but you can't see the photo unless you get on the web site. Auction ends today 1/26 but can be bought now for $45.00

Ken

Chrome bronze winch handle
    Item # 1504418702

Antiques & Art:Antiques:Maritime
    Sports:Sporting Goods:Boating & Water Sports:Gear & Accessories:Other Accessories

Currently $20.00
    Buy It Now for $45.00
    This option disappears
    once a bid is placed.
    First bid $20.00
    Quantity 1 # of bids 0 bid history
    Time left 9 hours, 58 mins +
    Location Lake Worth, FL
    Country/Region USA/West Palm Beach
    Started Jan-19-02 16:46:49 PST mail this auction to a friend

Ends Jan-26-02 16:46:49 PST watch this item | you're watching 1 items

Seller (Rating) sam0390 (21)
    Description

This winch handle is in beautiful condition. It measures 11 1/4" long, 1 1/2" wide, 5/16" thick where it inserts into the winch. The grip is 4" tall and is made of wood. It weighs 2 1/2 lbs., and will be shipped from zip code 33461.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are the dimensions of the #2 winch handle and should work fine.

Yes,
    I measured the openings last year, it should work. My memory is a bit fuzzy, I thought mine might have looked a little different. It's better looking than the piece of bar stock we are currently using.
    Thanks for the tip, I have a bid in.

My embarresment at dropping it in the water is tempered by the fact that my partner dropped the handle for the halyard winch the previous year. Still looking for the smaller handle, and perhaps even spares (both sizes) if they're available. I'm also still interested in finding out what it would cost to get some made.

Thanks again for the tip. I check ebay from time to time, but not often enough apparently.

Winch Handle Supply

It was asked how often the subject of replacement winch handles comes up on the board. Not often, but the subject does appear now and then after someone drops a handle overboard These occurances seem to be declining as people upgrade their winches.

If someone wanted to take on the project of reproducing winch handles, I'm sure he/she would find a market. Take the original handles to a forge and see what they say. Note that the release button and the axel for the handle on the handle are seperate from the main casting.

Well...

I lost the auction for the winch handle. After looking at it again I was certain it was the correct handle. Here's a picture, and thanks again for the tip Ken.
    Attached Images  

Winch Handles

I'll contact my favorite maritime forge and see if this interests them and the price. Stay tuned. It might be nothing, but then again .....

Winches

Now that I'm selling my boat, I think I can safely sell the two spares I have. I have one each of two different sizes (which I haven't yet measured). One fits the coach top winch, and the other, larger handle was probably for primary winches which were replaced by Lewmars. I'm open to suggestions as to fair prices.

Al,

I have no idea what a fair price is. I bid $40.00 (and lost) on the handle pictured in this thread. I need the pictured handle and a smaller one for the halyard winch.

Jerry

+ Reply to Thread