+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: A-205 Sirocco

Jon

I envy you. The thought of putting my boat in the water anytime soon is a thought I don't get to have for some time yet. But that though keeps me working on and making me focused on completing the restoration.

I like the choice of colors you made for the cushions. It's similar to a color I have been looking at myself. I have not made my choice but your cushions look good.

What materials did you use to build the companion way steps?
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Hatch Boards

Sirocco needs a set of hatch boards and I'm wondering if anyone has any for sale that will fit an Ariel....or....any suggestions of what I should do to replace my ragged set?

hatch boards

Hey Jon,
    how 'ragged' is ragged?
    Original three boards are mahogany with the middle board stepped or lapped.
    All vertical edges are nicely made with thick cross grain strips dadoed in to discourage warping.

Almost any disreputable set of boards could be brought back with stripping, sanding and varnish.
    What happened to Sirocco's?
    Last edited by ebb; 05-18-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Ebb,

The vertical edges of the center hatch board is rotted away pretty badly. Otherwise they're serviceable but quite ugly. I may be able to "fix" them with some plastic wood and a bit of judicious sanding, etc., but I'd rather have a new set.

Sirocco is coming along pretty nicely. I had her surveyed last week and of course the survey didn't reflect her value at the money I've put into her, but that's probably normal. She's nearly ready to sail. I have her boom and main at home and I'm doing some cleanup work on the main....washing it down and trying to get rid of a few mildewed spots. The boom, which I would guess is not made of anodized aluminum, looks a bit dirty and I need to find some kind of compound to rub onto it and spruce it up a bit. Any idea of what to use to freshen it up?

Oklahoma's weather is not worthy of comment. Cold and blustery one day, warm and humid the next and it'll rain without warning. Kinda makes me crazy but I wouldn't have to work much harder to get me there. The weather being a factor, we want to launch this week and I'm going to push to see if that can be accomplished but you know....the weather. When we get to that stage I'm going to post some photos of Sirocco before, during and after launch.

She's pretty though, looks almost new and I think the surveyor was impressed with her. All of her decks have been reworked, all new thru hulls and plumbing, she has new cushions throughout, a new Beta Maine 14 hp diesel, rebuilt rudder, all new chrome and lots of bottom, topside and interior paint, new wiring. Basically we reworked or replaced everything. I need to add a couple of more coats of tung oil to the coamings and the tiller and that's really about all.

I can't wait to see Sirocco floating again! Well done Jon!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mike says it.
    Sirocco is a beautiful slick Ariel.
    Have to see it again 2011!

There is a 'personal message' function on this site
    where you can leave me a UPS shipping address.
    Be happy to send A-338's hatch boards to you.

They are in good shape, given their age.
    But need refurbishing to bring them up to Sirocco's standard.

Ebb,

I used the personal message function to contact you. Let me know if you did not receive my reply. thanks, j

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the comment. This is the first time I've ever taken on a task like this and it was an interesting and fun project but I don't know that I would do it again. Getting too old, I think. jk

Cleaning aluminum

These two photos show the age and wrinkles on Sirocco's boom and I tried rubbing the surface with a stainless pad. The rubbing doesn't remove anything and more than anything else the rubbed spot looks dark.

Has anyone any suggestions on what I should do to clean this boom and make the aluminum look better?
    Attached Images    

Well there's really not much you can do other than paint or re-anodized the aluminum spars. The black spots are from areas where the clear anodized layer has worn away and exposed the bare aluminum.

Without the protective anodized coating aluminum in a marine environment tends to pit & get a coat of oxidation. This is what you are seeing. Best route would be to clean, etch, prime & paint. The results will astound you, both for bang for the buck (and effort). You can see a bit of how to & results on C-155's thread. I sprayed, but brushing is not a bad option...

Great job BTW - Scirocco is looking good!

Thumbs-up on the color. Very nice!

Thanks Rico and 109. That is good advice. I think I'll sail her this summer, send the sails off for cleaning in the fall and paint this aluminum over the winter. Give me something else to do...

I made a post here the other day about replacing my hatch boards....which are horrible....and Ebb, without hesitation and without permitting me to pay for them, sent me a set from his boat. I want to say this: That is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. I received them, packed for shipping better than anything I could have imagined, and they are in great shape. They're exactly what I needed and although I'm never at a loss for words, I am this time. Ebb, thank you so much. Your kindness and generosity are amazing. I really do appreciate it. Jon

Ok....Sirocco is back in the water. We still have to install a set of lazy jacks and the main and jib sheets, but I believe we may sail today. Sirocco is showing a little stern squat and I need some recommendations from others who have had the some problem with advice on what to do to balance her along her lines. Ebb kindly sent me his "old" hatchboards and they look great on Sirocco. I need to spend some time with the oil on her combings and fix a few other things, but we are getting there.
    Attached Images          

Searching on "balance" will turn up several discussions. This one is a good starting point (see especially near the end)

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...vice-and-input

+ Reply to Thread