+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: A-205 Sirocco

Have you considered using the actual auto-paint? One of our Ariels (A-24) was painted "Cadillac Yellow" many years ago by a PPO and looked pretty good. Not sure how well it has held up, and I don't know anything about paints, but it seems like auto-paint is made to stand up to some pretty harsh environments.

On another note, Tim Lackey used Alexseal Snow White on his Daysailor project. I was fortunate to see it in person, because pictures just don't do it justice. But the gloss and depth of that paint job was simply incredible - almost 3-dimensional. Very very impressive, and looked very classy with all the woodwork too. He also painted a friend's boat dark green and said that looked really nice too.

I have no doubt that Ebb's Little Gull is equally impressive...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Jon

As Mike just noted Alexseal is a very good quality paint as is Awlgrip. Both have off white colors that might be to your liking. Neither of them have an off white with a pinkish tone (which is what I think of when I think pearl) however.

Here is a link to the two websites for the color choices available.

http://www.alexseal.com/en/exteriorc...e=Cream&f=.gif

http://www.awlgrip.com/support/color...?card=Standard

We want pictures after she is done. :-)
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

I've been looking all over the www for paint colors and had not seen those two sites. The axelseal site has some great colors. You all can be sure that I'll post photos as she's coming along and for those who might be interested I'm going to post photos of the new Kubota 10 before, hopefully during, and after installation. That should be happening within the month. I'm really excited about all of this and I'm greatful for all of the input that you guys have provided. I've had my share of bassboats and all of that but this is my first sailboat and I want her looking like she should before she is splashed again.

hull color

This doesn't answer to the source of a 'pearl' finish. Intriguing!

BUT my old (1995) Dodge truck was sprayed with a color they called Driftwood. I think it was the clincher to mortgaging 5 years of monthly payments. When the day was overcast it was a light opalescent gray - when it was sunny the truck had a warm light brown hue. Gorgeous - when new.

On a sunny day in shadow it tricked back to pearl, there may be some metal flake in the color coat, but it is not obvious, way too subtle. It was all an effect by the clear coat over color.
    Auto industry clear coats are not LPU, as I understand it.
    That's why mine is burning off on the hood and roof, UV mange.

I called System 3 recently. I believe waterborne epoxies and enamels and LPU's are in our future, tho there is a higher price to pay for getting away from solvents.
    I asked the guy about a flatting agent for their LPU's that I've been thinking of using like old time enamel around the boat. It virtually acts like paint - except it gets harder than hell and become difficult to sand. Probably best used outside!

Well, System 3 LPU is like auto paint in that if you want it SATIN you SPRAY it on in the clear coat. Yes, clear satin. I'm using S.3 light gray (Bainbridge White) on lit'lgull's deck and cabin - but don't expect to get it pearly!
    I'll try roller and brush tipping.
    Understand that I'll have to wet down my area and even mist the air!!!!! to get humidity up.

ASK: Custom auto paint shop. Local Awlgrip professional. Don't think waterborne paints are used by these gents.

[Here's a google site>Yankee 30 MkII hull #70 Colour (and paint). This guy likes dark hulls!]
    Last edited by ebb; 07-13-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Cool

I have an XO that I have to run all this stuff by, out of courtesy as you might imagine but, also, just so she knows what needs to be done in case I give her a direct order (and ask) her to get the boat painted. Like her CO, she likes the dark colors, but XO wants a light finish so that her pedicure can be clearly seen by all, sooooo.....I'm thinking that Mephisto Cat's hull and deck finish will be "it" for this first sailboat. I have chosen the KISS method because XO is cute and she has..... uh....she's a great cook.

Rico,

Do you happen to recall the color and color number you chose for your beautiful Mephisto Cat?

Jon,

I'm glad you and the XO have decided on the Mephisto Cat's lovely colors. The little ship gets lots of complements - both out on the water & at the dock... I debated quite a bit before deciding on this scheme. I do love the dark colors but as explained in the Mephisto Cat's gallery thread, (not ot get into the discussion again here), I ended up with the gray and creamy white combination.

Some were sceptical at first but everyone (including myself) were pleasantly surprised at the results. I am clearly very happy with the results...

Unfortunately, I do not have a color number/code to provide... I mixed all the colors myself to achieve the shades I liked using base colors and a bit of pigment. (The gray topsides, lighter gray non-skid & the red for the waterline stripe.)

And by the way, I used gel-coat, not paint. The shade in the color-related pictures on the Mephisto Cat thread show the color nicely on my monitor... If this is not enough of a guide I could get you the color codes for the base colors I used. I will have tolook for those...

I could also sent you a blotch for you to try to match, if that would be helpful...

Rico,

I am so colorblind that I wouldn't dare attempt this by meself. f you can just send the color codes and tell me the pigment you used, that would be great. jon

Well, I have an update. The issue of the hull color for Sirocco was vexing because I'm colorblind and didn't want to just leave it up to the guys at the marina. After a lot of looking and head scratching XO and I finally decided on Stars and Stripes Blue for Sirocco's hull and on Matterhorn White for her decks. The non-skid will be Matterhorn White that is lightly tinted with the SS Blue. The first coat was applied to her hull on Friday and I think it looks great. Rico, I was just unable to match Mephisto Cat's colors and that's the sole reason I didn't try to duplicate your color scheme.
    Attached Images      

Sweet!! Very nice choice, Jon!. I think I actually have a picture of a boat named "Breezy" in my "ideas folder" with that same color. Are you going to do a boot stripe and or cove stripe to?
    Mike

Thanks Mike. The guys at the marina didn't think it would look great and wanted me to go all white, but I just couldn't do that. As it turned out, everyone thinks its great and I'm already getting a lot of positive comments from some of the sailing club folks. I'm not sure what a boot or cove stripe is, but there will be a matterhorn white stripe at the water line and an accent stripe along the length of the hull and just below the toe rail. I think that's what you mean, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I finally decided on Stars and Stripes Blue for Sirocco's hull and on Matterhorn White for her decks.
    The non-skid will be Matterhorn White that is lightly tinted with the SS Blue.
    Rico, I was just unable to match Mephisto Cat's colors and that's the sole reason I didn't try to duplicate your color scheme.
    That's a great color! Congratulations! I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments. There is lots of pressure to use the 'standard sailboat colors', you've stayed away from those and enjoyed great results!

I used Interlux's 'Matterhorn White' for my spars. Great stuff. Be sure to add a good amount of Stars & stripes blue to you non-skid paint color combination... It will keep you from getting blinded from the glare off the white decks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm not sure what a boot or cove stripe is, but there will be a matterhorn white stripe at the water line and an accent stripe along the length of the hull and just below the toe rail. I think that's what you mean, lol.
    Yup - she'll look great Jon!
    Attached Images  
    Mike

Jon,did you ever finish Sirocco?

Steve,

As you may recall Sirocco was pulled from the water last April and the refurb work is ongoing. Hope to have her back in the lake by the end of March but the guys that are working on her are very slow. To date she has had a bottom job and we have replaced most of the thru hulls. Additionally, the rudder was epoxied and covered with glass, the deck was reworked for soft spots, the wood has been refinished, the brightwork has been rechromed, the hull and deck have been repainted and she is being refitted with a 14 HP Beta Maine diesel. We still have to rebuild the engine cover and companionway steps, replace the stuffing box, install electronics, an air conditioner and a depth finder and we're going to rework the icebox and replace all of the rigging and life lines, etc. We also need to do some minor work on her mast, refit the spreaders and add one of those wind cup indicators, etc. When I bought her the marina told me it would only take 2-3 months to get her ready so I've had new cushions for almost a year. I love this boat but in retrospect I would not do this again.

I have been wondering if you might recall from whom you bought her hull name decal. I liked that script and would be interested in seeing her name again as you had done it. She is inside of a shop and it's hard to take photos and even if I did, all you'd see is parts and tools lying around in closed quarters. I'll post some photos of her before we launch but I think you'd be happy with the way she is being treated now.

+ Reply to Thread